Is this a good fixture

It would give you way more light than you need for a 55 gallon. PCs are not as good T5 lighting but then again you will have the MHs.

Whats the good deal? New for $940 seems high for PCs.

To much light... Can i swap out the 250s for 150s or 175s or do I need a different ballast to match the blubs?? $400. 2years old

You have to match the ballasts with the bulbs.
I'm not saying that you shouldn't get it because it's too strong. Your corals can be acclimated to the strong light. I was just saying that you don't necessarily need that much wattage.
$400 seems to be a good price to me. I would probably go for it if everything is in working order.

i would get either one but i would get at least the 250w one. 150w bulbs are not very good as far as ppfd and par values. 175w SE bulbs are better than 150w DE bulbs. from what i have read and at least 1 175w bulb that i know of is better than many 250w bulbs

The ballasts are made for a specific bulb. I thought I bought two used 250W lights and it turned out one was a 400W. They were used. I went to put in new 250W bulbs and the 250 W bulb didn't light right in the 400W ballast. 400W's are amazingly hot by the way.

RCpilot(where is he?) bought a fixture from Catalina.Reading on Reef Central the quality isn't very good and the bulbs aren't either.As Capt said in another thread,150w bulbs have low PAR,go with 175 or 250 watters.

Okay I think I will pass on these and keep looking. I don't want to just go for the "good deal" Thanks for the help and are there some brands I should be looking at? Hamilton? Corallife? Geissman? any others???

Okay I think I will pass on these and keep looking. I don't want to just go for the "good deal" Thanks for the help and are there some brands I should be looking at? Hamilton? Corallife? Geissman? any others???

There is just to many MH fixtures,retros and pendants to list.Geismann and Hamiltons are good,Coralife is decent.Click on this link and check out the list of MH fixtures,this is only a small sample of what's out there.Something you like,something in your budget then post it here.

Metalhalide Premium Aquatics

What are the lighting Req.s for clams? Can I keep clams with just T5s? My tanks a 55g TruVu. That used fixture was like 780 watts I don't want to make fish stew.

So thats 324 watts. I have been reading about par value and ppfd. Not sure if understand all of this. these can be changed with different blubs.

Is there something that reefers shoot for. I am planning on mostly corals and few fish(3 or 4 small).

So the Nova Extreme 8x54 cranks out 432 watts price is VERY good Makes me nervious...good reviews though. Any input?

The Nova Extreme would be great for a 55. You would be able to keep anything you wanted. It's a good brand. I used Nova Extremes over my old 55, and now I'm using Nova Extreme Pros over my 90.

Back