is this a good light

exWHYzee

Reefing newb
Hello, new here wondering if this light would be adequate for a 100g tank. I want rock n fish thanks guys I found this locally on C.L. He's selling it for $175

"Im selling an extra metal HQI light that I bought 1 year ago for my saltwater fish tank aquarium. I never really set it up. I didn't need it but i bought it when i bought my whole system. My system came with 3 of those 250w metal HQI light system. I paid $387 for each individual light "

is this a better deal thanks alot i really appreciate it...now that i look at it probably not your saying i need about 500w?

Aqualight Deluxe Series: Coralife 48 Inch Aqualight With 2-65W Actinic / 2-65W 10,000K Lamp Straight Pin Base (with fans). In good condition. Includes bulbs.

Info:
* Double Linear Strip
* Two 65 watt 10,000K and two 65 watt True Actinic 03 Blue straight pin base compact fluorescent lamps
* Two on/off switches with single 8-foot power cord
* Built-in ballasts
* Two cooling fans
* Sleek aluminum housing
* Highly-polished reflector
* Ideal for Saltwater and Reef Aquariums
* msrp $270

$155 OBO.

Last edited:
The 1st: What all are you getting? Is it a reflector, bulb and ballast? Or is it a pendant and ballast? Whatever it was he paid $387 each for, he got ripped off...or is stretching the truth on the real price.

The 2nd: It's just a power compact fixture. Good for soft corals and maybe some LPS corals high up in the tank. Not good for high light demanding SPS coral or clams.

ok ill begin looking for stronger. I found this guy selling these 3 metal hal. for 400 all 3. Im awaiting his call on the brand, anyone have some info what they could be. I was thinking picking up two of them. Any specific questions I need to ask??? :bowdown:hail all you for helping me out thanks!
3m83p73o0ZZZZZZZZZ93f9dea26f6f56a1e.jpg

That looks like 2 pendents and a ballast to me.
If so,you'll need to make sure the ballast is made to run 2 of the lights.Also,those are double ended halides,so you'll have to make sure the sellers got the UV shields in place on the pendents and find out how old the bulbs are.

The brand is Sunlight Supply its a German brand. He said the bulbs have about 8 months use on them. Said he didn't know about the UV shield. Said the back of them said each outputs 150w. Would I need the Ballast, and is this a good deal.?

called my lfs (local fish store?) and they said for a 100g s.w. tank with l.r. and coral tank I could do the lighting system which has 4 bulbs for $175 Im assuming its similar to the 2nd light system i posted. Is that system enough or best to go to with a MH setup like this. I don't have tooo much money lol. But enough to hopefully get started :frustrat:

thanks

IMO, $400 is too much for that setup. It is a good brand ballast, but the bulbs would need to be replaced soon. Plus like Yote said, double ended bulbs must have a uv shield on the reflector.

If your into DIY, you can build your own MH reflectors for about $30 each. You can get a dual 175w ballast for about $80 on Ebay. And bulbs will cost as much as you want to spend....from $10 ea to $80 ea.

ok so after thinking about it, I think Im gonna go with the aqualight deluxe I think itll be enough to start and maintain the tank. Since Im a novice, and on a budget I'm trying to keep it pretty simple as far as the community goes.

Aqualight Deluxe Series: Coralife 48 Inch Aqualight With 2-65W Actinic / 2-65W 10,000K Lamp Straight Pin Base (with fans). In good condition. Includes bulbs.

Info:
* Double Linear Strip
* Two 65 watt 10,000K and two 65 watt True Actinic 03 Blue straight pin base compact fluorescent lamps
* Two on/off switches with single 8-foot power cord
* Built-in ballasts
* Two cooling fans
* Sleek aluminum housing
* Highly-polished reflector
* Ideal for Saltwater and Reef Aquariums
* msrp $270

:Cheers: happy st pattys

Last edited:
If your're looking to keep a FOWLR "fish only with live rock" any light will do. If you're looking to keep corals I recommend going with the best you can afford. As you learn more about the hobby you will probably find yourself interested in different types of harder to keep corals with high lighting demands.

Back