Is this a good protein Skimmer

Teixeira29

Live Rock Fish only
A Octopus BH 1000 Hang on Back Protein Skimmer by CoralVue is that a good protein skimmer for a 50 g saltwater FOWLR tank. I have been talking to fish experts and they said if i get a good protein skimmer that i would still have to get a filter but i am going to listen to you guys and i am just going to get a protein skimmer with a couple of powerheads. What is a good powerhead to get?
Thanks for all your inputs it really helps me out a great deal!!

before anything. everyone has great suggestions here. but. the big question is what do you want. not what you need at the moment. what you want will tell you what you need!. i dont wanna sound mean i responded to one of your other adds. patience is the key in this hobby. or you will pay big bucks! we will try our best to steer you in the best direction

Last edited:
If you get an Octopus skimmer, you will not need any other type of filter. Are the people telling you this the same people you would be buying a filter from? If yes, of course they are trying to make an extra buck. The Octopus skimmers are very good. An alternative to the Koralia powerheads (which are kind of expensive) are MaxiJets. MaxiJets are a fraction of the price and still do a great job.

I just want a really good protein skimmer for my 50 g showpiece FOWLR tank. These salesman are trying to perswade me into buying a filter and i know from talking to you guys that i dont need a filter as long as i get a good protein skimmer. I was looking at an octopus skimmer online and the cheapest one was make for a 90 g tank.

What model octopus skimmer can i use. I just want one that i can turn on and walk way i dont want to put it in a sump tank.

Thanks

I am affraid i am not going to be able to put it together the right way. It looks like most the octopus need a sump tank!!

Any of the Octopus skimmers that are HOB (Hang On Back) do not need a sump. They Hang On the Back of your tank. You can google "Octopus Protein Skimmer" and a bunch of sites that sell them will appear. Look for the HOB models.

Your question has been answered, and you've been given links to the very skimmers that people think would be good for your tank. Now you have to click on the links, and decide which one you want to buy.

I'm sorry if this sounds rude; that's not my intention, but I'm not sure what more you want us to do in regards to helping you pick a skimmer.

I dont mean to be a pain in the ass i just dont know what i am looking at. The only protein skimmer i have ever owned was a seaclone, this is a big jump from a seaclone. Thank you for your advise i greatly appreciate it!!

I know you don't mean it, it's okay ;)

Yes, the Octopus skimmers look complicated and look hard to put together. And to some degree, that is very true. The instructions are horrible. The only way I managed to put mine together was by following the picture on the box. But they are still the best skimmer you can get in that price range.

The important thing is to pick one rated higher than your tank. For example, for a 50 gallon tank, do not get one that is rated for tanks that are 50 gallons. Protein skimmers are always rated at a capacity higher than what they really can handle. It's marketing. Ideally, you want one rated at twice your tank size, but realistically that's not always possible. So if you can afford to Octopus HOB rated for 100 gallon tank size, that'd be perfect, but if you can't afford it, getting the one rated for 75 gallons is good enough.

I looked at the protein skimmers and this is the one i am going to buy Octopus BH 1000 Hang on Back Protein Skimmer by CoralVue!!!
Thanks for your help!!

Back