Is this coral going to make it?

usaeagle

Reefing newb
I have just returned home from a week's holiday in which the tank lights were off the whole time.

I have a tentacle coral that looked like this (see pic A).
23nov09028.jpg

By usaeagle, shot with KODAK Z650 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2009-12-20 a month ago, and like this (see Pic B)
21dec2009103.jpg

By usaeagle, shot with KODAK Z650 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2009-12-20 when we got home. What is wrong with it? and is there anything I can do to save it?

I know this is a rough first post, but hoping someone will help me

That looks to be in pretty rough shape :(

I know you said you had the lights off for a while. Usually keeping the lights off for a week won't do that much damage.

Are you sure your lights are strong enough in the first place? What kind are they?

And how long after you turned the lights back on did you take the second picture? It may take a couple days to bounce back after being in the dark for so long.

The lights were off from Friday to the following Saturday.

I took the picture Monday Afternoon, after the lights were on for about 5 hours today. They were on all evening Saturday, all day Sunday and so far all day today. The lights are one flouro and one UV. About 12 inches long each.

I took the picture about an hour ago.

I just did a 3/4 water change and it is actually looking a little better, so we shall see how we go.

All I can see are red Xs.
But I gotta agree with Knuckle.You dont enough light for corals to begin with.Then the combination of a week in the dark and extremely low lighting before that,the coral is probably starved.

Back