is this normal?

I introduced snails to my tank yesterday and now i have 6 of them at the complete top of the tank. I seen one of them chowing away but the rest of them are chilling. With ponds, if the snails are visible at top, there is something wrong with the water. Ph 8.0, sal 1.025, 0 nitrates and nitrites. I do have have .1 on ammonia b/c i introduced 1.5lbs more of live rock. Everything else seems to be doing alright,should i do a water change?

So far yes, but they are very close to leaving.

... but that is not leaving....
Can you test for alk? if so what is it?
How old is the tank?
Where do you get your water? Is is RODI?
Is your water a little milky?
....what kind of rocks do you have... that means all of them!?

These answers and others will help...

Poksal, tank is 9 weeks old, installed skimmer. Up to 11lbs of live rock 2.5 inches of live sand. Just added frogspawn yester.day and 50 micro sized snails that are not on list. Yesterday i did stir the sand up, no sure that would be an issue but they are grouped up in corner near infeed on power head

Poksal, tank is 9 weeks old, installed skimmer. Up to 11lbs of live rock 2.5 inches of live sand. Just added frogspawn yester.day and 50 micro sized snails that are not on list. Yesterday i did stir the sand up, no sure that would be an issue but they are grouped up in corner near infeed on power head

Oh, be sure I'm not going to give advice here.. My tank is about 13 wks old. I have had snail problems too. And now it all seems ok.. "seems ok".

How is that frogspawn? I love those. .. with them around the inflow... makes me wonder about oxygen being maybe low... but I haven't a clue.. just tagging in the chat to learn.

When I added my snails most of them climbed there way up the glass and were hanging out at the top. After a few days they eventually worked there way back down. No snail deaths to my knowledge.

My snails have even gone up the return chute on the power filter. One night I woke to the sound of splashing water, I jumped out of bed thinking I had a tank leak. Was a turbo surfing...after a few minutes he climbed back down...since then I find them surfing quite often...I dont know if I just have trill seekers or if they just like the taste of whatever algae is there :dunno:

Nassarius, astraea, and 4 turbos

Ok. That makes sense for a relatively new tank.
My primary suspicion is that they are starving.

Astrea and turbo snails are herbivores. When they don't get enough algae to graze on, their instincts tell them to go up higher closer to the sunlight where algae would be expected to be more abundant.
Until your tank establishes a stable microalgae population, I would suggest adding some herbivore foods in the tank to keep the snails fed.

Nassarius are omnivorous scavengers but they will also be driven to leave the tank to look for food if the substrate is not providing them enough food.

Ok, ill try this. One whole side of tank i didnt clean for this purpose and they are leaving it alone. Is it normal for them to bury in sand too? Some of them seem perfect and little cleaning machines. Should i down size? I do have 50 snails in total for an online small cleaning crew of up to 25 gallons? I have as many snails in my 14 gallon tank as i do for my 2200 gallon pond. I just dont understand.

So, i found out what was wrong........ Hermit crabs live snails, but the feelings are not mutual. After removal of the hermits, snails are staying local. I lost about 10 snails, and i will never have hermits again. They were never aggressive until the introduction of snails

Back