Is this rock safe?

Coletrickle

Reefing newb
I found this rock and thought it would look good in my tank. Is it volcanic? Is it safe?

If it makes a differance, there is nothing in my tank yet, not even water.

Attachments

• Rock.jpg
    Rock.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 383
It's a nice looking rock, but I wouldn't put it in the tank unless you know the composition of the rock. I don't know if it is volcanic, but not all volcanic rock can be used in tanks. You could end up with long term issues as whatever is in the rock begins to leach out into the water.

I wouldnt put it in my tank.
Like was already stated,you dont know exactly whats inside that rock.It could be completely safe,but then again,it could kill everything else you add later.

It would be ok for freshwater. If you have your heart set on it put some vinegar on it if it fizzes its good to go, no fizz no use.

Is that a very good indicator if it's safe or not? I was thinking of boiling it, but that would tell me if it would leasch something bad. So the vinigar tells me what?

Thanks

Even if it is calcium based (fizzes), it could still contain metals, which would then leach out into your tank and kill your inverts :( Better safe than sorry when it comes to what you put in your tank.

Back