It's a jungle in there!

markrj

Reefing newb
The Kenya Tree and Xenia have become a forest. All over the tank. Frags are almost constantly breaking off and floating around only to anchor somewhere and then they turn into these giant colonies and start the process all over again.

Here is a photo of them sleeping. Those innocent cauliflower looking things you see everywhere expand over 10x or more the size you see in the first poto.

During the day you can hardly see the colony of mushrooms that you see in the photo.

The Xenia is overgrowing some really cool Zoas I have and I have to trim them back to keep the Zoas visible. Now they have established themselves on top of the Nuclear Green Paly rock! :grumble:

My tank literally looks like a jungle reef. I'm not sure which is faster growing, the Xenia or the Kenya Tree. I mean look at Xenia colony on the back glass! It's not a good photo of it and it certainly does not show the entire colony. One little polyp attached itself to the glass one day a few months ago and WHAMO!

My only form of filtration is my live rock and an algae scrubber. All of the critters and corals are doing fantastic. Water parameters are perfect. Obviously! lol

I think I need to make arrangements with some lfs to take some of these colonies off my hands. Maybe get some store credit or something.

I will take a full shot of everything after it expands but the shot of the Foxface below shows one of the larger Kenya Trees. Its the one just left of center.

If anyone wants some Kenya Tree or Pulsing Zenia, I am more than willing to ship some frags. I have never sold/shipped frags before and I have no appropriate containers to ship them so that would also be part of the expense.

SleepingKenyaTrees.jpg

Foxface1.jpg

Indeed Kenya and Xenia grow like weeds! I will not put them in my 93g for this reason. It would be kinda cool to set up a tank just for Xenia and Kenya and jut let it grow! Looks like you'll be getting some store credit!!

Maybe I should setup another tank and remove the other corals and just let this one go wild.

I need a reef mower! lol

I have good growth with both Xenia and my Kenya as well, I usually frag them for people at no charge.

Last edited:
Both of those corals flourish in dirty water, so you must have some sort of water quality issue going on, otherwise they wouldn't be growing like they are.

I use RO/DI water exclusively. All water parameters are perfect. I don't know what else to tell you about that.

Most all of my corals are growing and multiplying except for the goniopora. which seems to just exist.

I have a Scarlet Skunk Shrimp, lots of snails and crabs and 6 fish all living it up in there.

By dirty water, what exactly do you mean?

Just more nutrients in the water than some people want. Some people think you should have zero nitrates. While that is ideal, having between 5-10ppm nitrates isn't bad and the Kenya's and xenia thrive off of it.

i notice they also love Phosfates. My Nitrates and everything have ben pretty much at zero and my xenias are doing great. I keep them on a solo rock on the top so if they start growing down i can just pull the rock and trim. But like i was saying i have everything pretty much at zero but i have a bit of phosfates. So thats the only thing i could think off. Well i also spot feed them ones a week with all the other coral, Phyto and coralfrenzy

Back