JB's Reef Tank

OK...have finished up the piping for the return flow from the sump/refugium...here are some pictures:

P1010136.jpg

P1010137.jpg

P1010134.jpg

P1010135.jpg

and just because of the proud papa syndrome I'm having about building all of this stuff right now...here is the first baffle in my sump/refugium:

P1010139.jpg

Very nice and clean.
When are you getting wet?
Not soon enough :) sump/refugium will be finished up this evening and then it will needs to cure for 48 hours...I'm sitting here with the NFL playoffs on TV while doing this...don't know how much better of a lazy Sunday afternoon you could ask for ;)

I'm debating whether or not to get a bigger pump than what I have right now...a Hagen AquaClear 802 (rated at 400 gph)...but this will be a little less because it has just under 3' of head to push up to my tank...the LifeReef prefilter box is rated up to 700 gph so I'm wondering if I need to increase the sump pump.

I'm hoping to get wet by next weekend.

My 36" Nova Extreme Light system is supposed to be here on Tuesday...I think I'll get wet on Thursday or Friday...make sure everything runs good and if it does I'll be making a call to my LFS to order a box of Live Rock on Sunday (which would arrive on Tuesday).

Am I forgetting anything on the "startup checklist"? :)

Sounds like you itching to get wet.IMO,all you need is really about 5x turnover so the pump you have will be fine.Use powerheads for flow and not the return from the sump.Do you have all the testing equipment-test kits,heaters,hydrometer or refractometer-you know stuff like that?

Do you have all the testing equipment-test kits,heaters,hydrometer or refractometer-you know stuff like that?
Ahh...that I do not...thank you, I will be picking that up this week as well. I have a specific gravity device from when I did saltwater loooooong ago...but definately need the other test kit/equipment.

Is there a "checklist" reference of these types of bare necessities for reefkeepers somewhere?

I'm not sure if there's a list here or not.You will need....

Test kit-for ammonia,nitrite,nitrate and pH.There are several master kits that include all four test and some with more like calcium and akalinity.If it doesn't include akalinity/calcium then you will eventually need them too.

Thermometer-I prefer the little digital ones then those stick on types.

Heaters-Its better to have two smaller heaters than one large one.Thats just in case one sticks and it won't overheat the tank.

Hydrometer or refractometers-I would replace your old one.Its been sitting around for a long time and could be inaccurate.I recommend a refractometer over a hydrometer.They are more accurate.

Powerheads/circulation pumps-these will provide the flow.You can go as low as $15 each for Maxi-Jets or $40 for Koralias.There are some that cost even more.Better to have two than one.

I'm sure there maybe more misc. stuff like fishnet etc.Check Dr. Fosters and Smith.com.Even with shipping it is usually much cheaper than the LFS.

After much planning/research and lots of work...my sump/refugium is completed...here are some pics for anybody interested...can't wait to actually watch flow through this :)

P1010142.jpg

P1010140.jpg

I plan to have a 2-3 inch sandbed in the middle compartment with caulerpa...I will be cutting some light diffuser material to sit on top of the tank from where the second baffle (the one that goes to the top of the tank) sits to the left side so I can sit a light on top.

I love the way my skimmer sits perfectly in the corner lip/ridge of the tank...didn't plan that one, more of "design by accident" :)

nice professional look.
What are your livestock plans,
Wow...thanks for the compliment

Livestock...well, I want this to eventually be a coral stocked tank so I will probably only have 4-5 smaller fish at the most. I plan to order my first box of live rock (45lbs) next Sunday (it will arrive on Tuesday at my LFS) and will be decent looking but will serve as more of the foundation base rock...then after the tank cycles, I want to buy another 35 - 40 lbs of super nice rock...after things stabilize, I think my first fish will be a lawnmower blenny (or some other species of blenny that likes to eat algae off the rocks...not that I'll have any ;) )

After that...I'll probably just look for some nice pieces of easier coral (mushrooms, yellow colonial polyps, greenstar polyps) and then maybe a coral beauty, mandarin...will most likely be asking for more recommendations from the group here :)

The only thing I can wrong with your set up,,It aint got no water in it.:mrgreen:
Looks to me like your gonna have an awesome system.

I usually use fairly large pumps so have gotten use to male or female pipe threads as a pump exit, can not even remember last time I used a pump that came with a hose barb other than a power head. The purpose of larger pipe is less restriction/friction more flow. You can use barb adapters to up size vinyl hose and get the same effect. Plus look at the inside diameter of 1/2" or 3/4" hose barb versus the inside diameter of a 1/2" or 3/4" PVC pipe. A hose barb goes inside your vinyl pipe therefore is smaller than the pipe and thereby greatly reducing the flow. A PVC fitting goes over pipe and therefore does not greatly restrict the flow. Plus with PVC pipe you can put in unions and ball valves to disconnect equipment. You can use them with vinyl pipe by using a lot of restrictive fitting, or by going to larger hose to cut down on friction, but you will always have to go at least one size larger than PVC pipe to get the same flow. There in the real world (continental U.S.) flexible PVC pipe should be readily available and it uses all standard PVC fittings and glue. Remember electricity and pumps are expensive so should be used in the most effective way reasonably possible. Remember if your feeding your pump from a refugium or sump you must put in anti siphon holes in your return lines to keep from possibly overflowing your sump during a power outage. If you run your return very deep in your tank your talking water on your spouses floor during a power outage, and coral nor fish live well out of water. Anti siphon holes are just holes in your return lines that are usually just below the surface of the water that stop a siphon when the water level drops to that level. My ISP was down most of this weekend so I did not get to post earlier. Sorry. Sump/Refugium looks great! You are really getting there. Sure beats dreaming and talking, huh.

Last edited:
Remember if your feeding your pump from a refugium or sump you must put in anti siphon holes in your return lines to keep from possibly overflowing your sump during a power outage.
Thanks for the reminder on the holes in my return line...I'll do that when I get wet for the first time to better gauge where my water level will be in the tank for best placement depth

If you run your return very deep in your tank your talking water on your spouses floor during a power outage
No spouse to worry about here :) just neighbors downstairs :shock: but I'm confident with my 20 gallon sump refugium and proper placement of the holes in the return line that I won't have to worry about that happening

Sump/Refugium looks great! You are really getting there. Sure beats dreaming and talking, huh.
Thanks, certainly does beat dreaming and talking :) I'm hoping to start putting water in tomorrow night...I bought a 160 gallon bucket of Reef Crystals from the LFS today...along with some other necessities...found a perfect light for the sump/refugium...it has perfect ridges cut into it so it lays pefectly from front to back (width) right over the section that will have the macroalgae...got a test kit for my cycling period and notified my LFS to order me a box of Live Rock (45lbs) next Sunday...it will arrive on Tuesday. :bounce::^::bounce::^: yes I'm a little bit excited

Last edited:
Most reefers that have any will give you some chaeto, or charge just shipping. I do not normally do macro algae as I do not normally keep fish with my coral, and I do not try to export nitrogen on my fish tanks because when I keep fish I keep dirty fish (sloppy and usually heavy feeders) which would require a whole lot of algae to make a noticeable difference. Carbon removes Caulerpa color pretty well (at least what a skimmer wont remove), but unless you are going to be putting it in your main tank for viewing I would definitely agree with Biffer as it would not be worth its downsides. Caulerpa is a fast grower that will attach to anything and seems to have an infinity to crowding out only your best corals light. Nothing seems to want to eat it either.

OK...after a few days of measuring (twice) and cutting (once), priming, gluing and adjusting I have completed the plumbing on my overflow and return flow. Here's a picture:

P1010154.jpg

I purchased a bigger pump (Rio 2100) for the return flow from the sump. Also picked up my Koralia 2 for in the tank flow...between my split returns and my Koralia 2, I'm thinking things are looking pretty good.

I think I might start filling up the tank TOMORROW!!! :^:

Great! Up-sized piping, 45 degree drain fittings for increased flows and low noise instead of horizontal run, and true unions and ball valves. High flow return with good velocity to boot. You should definitely not find any reasons to be disappointed. Keep up the great work and you will have a reef tank to be very proud of. Remember, there is a method to setting your sump water level so as to prevent overflow during power outages. I will post that information for you if you need it, or send me an email and I will email you the information. The sump maximum water level can very a great deal from one aquarium set up to another depending on the placement of your anti siphon holes on your return lines and the capacity of your water lines. It is referred to as your drain back amount.

Finished cleaning and picking up this afternoon...placed tank where it will reside permanently and added my 3" sandbed in the refugium of the sump and in my aquarium. I think I'll add water tonight and start turning pumps on and checking the flow through all the plumbing I've done.

I've never embarked on a project with PVC tubing before...I must say it was challenging, but the satisfaction I've gained is off the chart...can't wait to show it off to my family and friends.

My LFS orders my first box of live rock (45lbs) for me tomorrow and it will arrive Tuesday...I plan to cycle my tank with the first batch of rock and then I will add another 40-45lbs of "really nice" rock on top of my first batch and check to see if the tank cycles again or not...then, my first inhabitant...a Lawnmower Blenny :)

P1010161.jpg

P1010162.jpg

P1010163.jpg

Back