jhnrb-150 reef

thats alot of fish, how do you angels do with the clams and SPS

At the present just fine, although there could possibly be some attrition in the future. I do feed well so the picking is no so pronounced presently. If you noticed I had left one pink lobo on the bottom for the angels to pick at. once gone, we will see. Remember as you see what I do, Ive been doing this for 30 years + and have the equipment needed to keep water quality up. The majority of the information provided is middle of the road or safe information, not absolute, so you can do some things that are stated as not practical, or advisable if you take the neccessary precautions. For example the long spine urchins are notorious for spinning the other animals in the tank, thus far I have lost a tiger cowie, and one abalone to the long spine urchins sting, several of the larger fish have been stung also but have tolerated it well. eventually the long spines will be removed, but, for now they serve a purpose to naturally clean up the algae. anyway I hope this explains a bit more. finally consider that the smaller the tank the more pronounced the aggression and nipping will be.

That is one hell of a tank...I woke my wife up(she wasn't too thrilled), just to show her the pics so she can see what I am aiming for one day.

I forgot to mention that I am now doing water changes of 60 gal every two weeks and am not adding any additives, except kalk makeup water. I have not removed the bio balls yet due to the fish population, but the denitrator is removing a lot of thenitrates from the system but leaves enough for the clams to do well.

Just a quick update, algae is mostely gone now, just couple spots left, long spine urchins getting too large and will need to be removed very soon, system is now entering a more mature state, and bio balls will need to be removed from the filter system. I will post an updated pic soon. water changes have increased to 60 gal apprx. every 10 days now.

Just a pic of the candy cane. One of several corals in the system. Pics soon of the entire tank.

Attachments

• 100_0574.jpg
    100_0574.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 251
Back