Josh from N.H.

JBReef

Reefing newb
How's everyone doing? Just wanted to say HI.
My name's Josh, I'm 22 years old and live in N.H. with my wife Holly. We've been keeping freshwater fish for a few years now and recently decided to go SW. I'm starting with a 20 gal. with an aquaclear70 HOB as a fuge. It's been running for about 2 weeks now and everything has been going good.

Well I guess that's it for now, I guess I'll leave off with a few pics

My 55gal. cichlid tank-
Fish010.jpg

And the 20gal.
Fish059.jpg

And the first growth in the tank. (Can't ID it yet)
Fish055.jpg

Welcome to the reef.
Looks you've got a good start on the tank.
Just add a little more rock and a skimmer.Then let the reefing begin.

Hi and welcome!

I agree with Yote, try to shoot for 1 to 2 lbs of rock per gallon to aid in water filtration.

What are your plans for stocking your tank with animals? What kind of tank do you want, fish only or reef?

As for the mystery animal, it's hard to tell. It could be some type of hitch hiking anemone or coral. Can you get another picture of it?

Welcome to the site! Better to ask questions here than make mistakes on your own or let a fish shop owner persuade you into buying something just so they can make a sale.

Welcome to the reef Josh loving your chilid tank which do you keep? Listen to the experts here they wont lead you astray.

Ya I'm working on the LR situation I'll be adding more befor I get any kind of life into it. As for the tank idea I plan on a reef, hammer, bubble, zoas, some softies, as for fish.... nothing big, a blenny, some fire fish, maby a few other things but only to add movement. I'm ordering a (glo)T5HO once the tank is up and running nicely. As for the the better pic, I tried. if I zoom any more it just get's blurrier so I'm just gona have to wait till a more dramatic trait shows up.

As for the cichlid tank I currnetly have 2 male albino redtops, a male rubescenc(sp?) and 2 female peac**ks and fighting a loosing battle of finrot.
I treated with malifix wich did nothing for me so'm I'm trying Maracyn.

When you treat with Maracyn make sure you use it and Maracyn 2 there is a positive and negative bacteria that causes it. Do one for ten days then switch to the other its very persistant, trust me Ive been there it wiped out nearly my whole system before I did the research. Its usually caused by stress from high nitrates or keeping the tank at a temperature thats two high.

The nitrates are only 25 so they're not to bad, and the temp is around 79F the trouble I'v been noticing is my ph. My cichlid tank is only at 6.8 and I just checked my Reef tank and thats droped to 7.4. on my reef tank I'm running TROPIC MARIN salt wich says it controlls the ph.

It cant just be my tap water cause there is no tap water in my reef so what els would be making both my tanks so low on ph?

And thanks for the info on Maracyn, I just went to the store to pic it up and only got 1. I'm gona run that through for the 10days and I'll pick up part 2 sometime this week.

A cycling tank will usually have a low PH.Its caused from the acids thats released from the decaying lifeforms.

Back