just a simple ? regaurding sand

tra_w

Reefing newb
ok I was reading about different sands that can be used in a tank but one that is really iffy to me is reptile sand I have some here at home that is used in my bearded dragon tank and i decided to do a simple vinegar test on it it starts desolving right away so i then decided to see how well it cleans up and it does so great so then i thought i would boil it then wash it again still looks great then i thought maybe it was just added calcium that was desolving so i tested it again and it still desolves. So could this sand in fact be safe to use in the fish tank?

I personally wouldn't use it. It might have vitamins and minerals added to support a reptile that might consume some of it while hunting insects. I would get a bag of aragonite sand that you know would be safe for use.

Yea, why take all the risks and doing all these tests, when you can just get some aragonite, that you know will work just fine. Saves you the worrying.

It's also usually dyed. I wouldn't risk it.

Plus the silicate levels could be higher than aragonite, which would only feed diatoms.

Back