just brought home new tank!! question about lights

Ourfish

Reefing newb
We just brought home a new fish tank and are wondering if we can turn the lights on. Do we have to wait a certain period of time first?

Im confused but thats not hard to do i guess in my case...why wouldnt you be able to turn them on? If theres nothing in the tank why would you want to, unless you just wanna check and make sure they work.

ah sorry. we bought an already established tank with live rock, a damsel, an urchin and a coral. we've just put everything thing but aren't sure if we can turn the lights on now

Congrats on the new tank! Of course you can turn the lights on. The corals need it to survive. Good luck, and post pictures of your new tank!

thanks and we will!

we're a little concerned. Right now it's all murky cuz of the sand so it's hard to see but we noticed our 3 striped damsel shudder. It's happened three times so far :(

Did you clean the sand thoroughly before you filled it back up with water and put the fish in? When you move a tank, it's always a good idea to either use new sand or rinse the old sand because there is a lot of crap and gunk trapped in sand from established tanks. When you disturb the sandbed, it releases the crap back into the water, which can cause ammonia spikes and harm your livestock.

If it's just cloudiness, then there's no need to worry, the fish will be fine.

We have the lights on and although the tank needs some work still, I think it looks great! We have a 9 inch black urchin (who hurts!), a big fuzzy gorilla crab (he's so cool!), a 3 striped damsel (who is apparently really old - he's been through 5 different tanks already apparently), a shrimp, a bunch of red mushroom coral, and a coral that I'm not sure the name of.

We tried our best not to disturb the sand when we moved it... Everyone seems to be doing well now. They're all so entertaining!!

Gorilla crabs usually are bad. They are fish predators. Large fish are probably safe, but small ones make a nice snack for gorilla crabs.

They are bad. Predators. Pick them out as you see them. Put them in the sump, give them to the cat, play a game of crab catch.... up to you.

So we have the red sea max 130 and the guy we bought it from had a lot of tiny pieces of live rock that we don't really want to display. Can we put it in the back of the system?

Also, one more question, sorry, how often can we do water changes? Is it bad to do it too much? Our sand has a bunch of crap on top and we missed a lot when we did our water change this morning. Can we do another water change to try and get rid of the rest of the brown stuff?

Yeah! Another RSM owner! Congratulations. I think you'll love the set up, it's very easy.

As for the rock rubble, you can remove the ceramic rings and carbon bags from the return pumps compartment and put the rubble in that compartment. I would keep the two sponges in the first compartment but rinse them weekly.

Water changes. I try to do a 5 gallon water change a week. Don't always but I try to. If you have stuff floating then you can get a surface skimmer (add on part that's cheap but effective), that is if you don't already have one on your system.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Red_Sea_...s_Accessories-Red_Sea-RS5351-FIAQCKAC-vi.html

Last edited:
How often should we feed our 3 striped damsel?
The guy we bought everything from said he never fed his corals because they got all their food from the light. Is this true?

okay we're getting rid of the crab. He tried to eat our shrimp last night. My boyfriend chased it back with a tooth brush.

Back