Just installed a ASM Mini-G and...

DAvis

Reefer Madness
Hey all! I've been reefing for less than 2 years, and have moved from a 28 g cube to a 65 g with a 20 gallon sump. This is my first skimmer! Woohoo! I have just installed it today. I have it in 10.25" of sump. When I have the riser pipe in the lowest setting and plug in, the water level rises to overflow, filling the skimmer cup with water. Currently I have taken the riser tube out, just to 'break in' the skimmer, but of course, nothing is reaching the cup. Will I have to raise the skimmer a couple of inches off the bottom? I've seen 6 - 10" recommended for the mini G, and I'm a little over 10"

Thanks!
David

Hey David. I use the G4 with great success. I hope you find yours to be great too. I think you are going to be okay to operate the way you have it. It is just a matter of adjusting it. With the tube removed, you get no skimmate reaching the cup, but with it installed you say it's filling the cup. The tube is height adjustable. you just need to find a happy medium between the two positions. Also, the foam that covers the tube should never pass the top of it because if it becomes clogged with muck (which it inevitably will) it will raise the height of the water being expelled causing your bubble height to also be raised which will overflow the cup and dump your skimmate back into the tank.

...With the tube removed, you get no skimmate reaching the cup, but with it installed you say it's filling the cup. The tube is height adjustable. you just need to find a happy medium between the two positions...

Thanks Justin, there's the rub... I know the tube is adjustable, but at the lowest position, it fills the cup rapidly to overflow. This is about 2" above the water line. If I remove it, it's too low. I think I have to raise the skimmer a few inches, then I will be able to adjust the level with the tube in place. Does that make sense?
Thanks!
d

Yes it makes sense. I guess the other option might be to cut an inch or two off the tube so it will work for your setup. I think i'd rather raise it, but cutting may be an option too.

Yes it makes sense. I guess the other option might be to cut an inch or two off the tube so it will work for your setup. I think i'd rather raise it, but cutting may be an option too.

Yes! I entertained the same idea, but being that I am fairly green in the skimmer world, I figure I better investigate options before I hack! :D

You can also pull a little water out of the sump to get it to a level that is acceptable to your skimmer. Get a magic marker and mark the sump where the water level is optimal, and keep you level at the mark during water top offs.

You can also pull a little water out of the sump to get it to a level that is acceptable to your skimmer. Get a magic marker and mark the sump where the water level is optimal, and keep you level at the mark during water top offs.

Thanks fastrd, I can't do that as this part of the sump is fixed volume, but good news! I figured it out. I think the pump wasn't seated properly. Now it is starting to bubble up the cup neck, and the riser tube is extended with the sponge set, just below the overflow to catch the bubbles on the way out. It's not collecting yet, but I'm happy so far! Thanks all for your help! :Cheers:

Back