Just started cycling

Just started cycling my tank 2 days ago, anything I should do besides wait? I had a crab that was a hitch hiker on my live rock so I want to make sure he will be ok during the cycling process.

He should be. Hitchhikers are usually pretty good about living. Lots of things come in on live rock and most of them survive; that's how we have such short cycles in the marine aquaria as long as you have the proper amount of live rock.

Good luck!

Did I miss my cycle??? So far I haven't seen any changes in my tank levels except for the salticity which has gone up alot. I see alot of growth starting on the rocks but all my tests show normal. Do you think nothing has started yet?

Did you toss in your dead shrimp?

Also are you toping off with saltwater or freshwater? Always replace evaporated water with freshwater because the salt doesnt evaporate.

Did you toss in your dead shrimp?

Also are you toping off with saltwater or freshwater? Always replace evaporated water with freshwater because the salt doesnt evaporate.

No shrimp, I have been topping off with salt. So I shoud be topping off with RODI water? Everyone failed to meantion that. So what do I do you?

You top off with RO water... water evaporates, but the salt does not.

And you should toss a shrimp in the tank to kick start your cycle.

You top off with RO water... water evaporates, but the salt does not.

And you should toss a shrimp in the tank to kick start your cycle.

So do I do a partial water change now to bring the salt down or just start topping off with RO water? What size shrimp do I put in there? Will my crab in the tank just eat it? I just did one of those bacteria cycle thinks on the tank a few days ago. I thought that would get the tank started, but as of yesterday everything is still the same.

the crab might help himself to a few bites, but i would put a small piece of the uncooked table shrimp in there. Those bacteria additives dont really do anything unless you give them something to feed off of, which will be the table shrimp.

And what is your salinity at? As long as its not too high, i would just start toping off with freshwater

the crab might help himself to a few bites, but i would put a small piece of the uncooked table shrimp in there. Those bacteria additives dont really do anything unless you give them something to feed off of, which will be the table shrimp.

And what is your salinity at? As long as its not too high, i would just start toping off with freshwater

Ok I'll pick up a piece of small shrimp tonight. My salt is at about 37 as of yesterday

ya, that is pretty high. You want your salinity around 1.025 or 32 ppm. I would also recommend investing in a refractometer. They are much more accurate than a hydrometer. You can find them for around $25 on ebay with the calibration fluid costing around $3. Hydrometers need to be replaced every 6 months or so, so in two years the refractometer will have paid for itself.

ya, that is pretty high. You want your salinity around 1.025 or 32 ppm. I would also recommend investing in a refractometer. They are much more accurate than a hydrometer. You can find them for around $25 on ebay with the calibration fluid costing around $3. Hydrometers need to be replaced every 6 months or so, so in two years the refractometer will have paid for itself.

Ok great I'll look into one of those. So what should I do about my water? Just top off with RO or do a water change? If water change how much.?

Back