Just started cycling

+1 Hannah. Take some of that high salinity water out and replace with RODI water. From now on, replace evaporated water with RODI water. Only add in saltwater when you do a water change and remove saltwater.

+1 Hannah. Take some of that high salinity water out and replace with RODI water. From now on, replace evaporated water with RODI water. Only add in saltwater when you do a water change and remove saltwater.

Great, thanks for the helpful info. I did a 5 gallon water change so I'll test the water tomorrow and see where I'm at.

Good job -- any changes in salinity should be made gradually. It probably crept up slowly, so get it back down slowly as well by gradually switching out the water.

Good job -- any changes in salinity should be made gradually. It probably crept up slowly, so get it back down slowly as well by gradually switching out the water.

Well I pulled 5 gallons out and put 5 gallons RO back in a couple of days ago. I tested it lastnight and that salinity was back down to around 34 and SG between 1.025 and 1.026. I need to top off the tank tomorrow so I'll add a little more RO and then test it in a couple of days. Thanks again everyone for the help.

1.025 - 1.026 is right where you want it to be. Good job! I didn't see it mentioned so I'll toss it out there, how are you measuring the parameters in your tank? If you are using test strips, you might be okay using them for the cycle ONLY. They are very hard to read correctly and give marginal results at best. Make sure you buy a good test kit. API makes a decent and affordable one with the basics all included. They can usually be found at the box store pet stores too. Well worth the money.

Glad I just read this post! I too replaced evaporated water with salt water. I also got readings at 1.030 today! :) I just siphoned about 2 gallons back into my salt water jug and replaced with RO water. Thanks for the post!

1.025 - 1.026 is right where you want it to be. Good job! I didn't see it mentioned so I'll toss it out there, how are you measuring the parameters in your tank? If you are using test strips, you might be okay using them for the cycle ONLY. They are very hard to read correctly and give marginal results at best. Make sure you buy a good test kit. API makes a decent and affordable one with the basics all included. They can usually be found at the box store pet stores too. Well worth the money.

Yes I'm using the API test kit and so far has been a great tool. Thanks for the advice.

Glad I just read this post! I too replaced evaporated water with salt water. I also got readings at 1.030 today! :) I just siphoned about 2 gallons back into my salt water jug and replaced with RO water. Thanks for the post!

LOL, us rookies and our mistakes

Back