Just Starting up a Reef Tank

1geo

Reefing newb
I have just gotten into the saltwater aquarium hobby. My interest was generated when I set up a 10 gal fresh water aquarium for my granddaughter for Christmas. Since then I have set up a 20 gal saltwater aquarium and started with 4 percula clown fishes. Unfortunately I only have one left. I determined the vendor sold me wild stock who were stressed out and would not eat. I just ordered two more from aquarium raised stock; we will see what happens. Tomorrow I pick up a 40 gal aquarium to set up as a reef tank. Fortunately I live in the Tampa bay area where there are a number of wholesalers who supply live rock and everything else you can imagine for reef tanks. Geo.

welcome to the forum, i think the reason your clown fish died was not because they were caught in the ocean, but because they all fought to the death, only two maximum should be kept in a tank that size

First, nice to have you on the forum!

Dustin is correct (but he already knew that). Another thought, have you checked your tank to verify it has been cycled? From your signature, it looks like it has been up two months, which should be enough time. However, the ammonia and nitrites during a cycle can kill your fish as well.

Welcome to the site.
I too agree with Dustin.Any more than 2 clowns will cause them to fight and stress them to the point of dieing.
If your set on having a pair of the clowns,pick the largest and the smallest and return the rest to the store.

Hi and welcome! Clowns are very aggressive and territorial, and no more than 2 should be kept in a tank together. Even people with large tanks like mine (240 gallons) usually cannot keep more than 2. Plus, 4 fish in a 20 gallon tank is just too many, period. Even with a mature, established tank, there isn't enough space or water to keep more than 2 or 3 fish. It becomes impossible to keep the water clean enough to keep them alive. You are generally limited to one fish per 10 gallons of tank size. So two clowns in a 20 gallon tank is pretty much the max.

Also, make sure they are the same species. Two different species of clown in the same tank will 99.9% of the time fight to the death. Even if they are the same species, a lot of people have a hard time keeping two of them. One is usually a lot more aggressive than the other and can bully it to death.

Also, you should only add one fish every 3 weeks. It takes that long for the bacterial bioload of the tank to catch up with the new influx of fish waste. If you rush and add more than that, your fish will likely die.

Last edited:
Back