kalkasswer drip

amonyia

Reefing newb
When dripping into system it should keep up with evaperation right and since this is the first time introducing do you think its smarter to half dose for a while so ph dosent spike? Has anyone caused a spike by useing? :zombie:

Helpful articles page 2 & 4 have articles on kalkwrasser. should answer your immediate questions and provide you a base to start from. let us know if the articles do not answer your questions.

Iv allready read ,was just lookin for some tips,so in my 20 gallon about 1 and a 3/4 gallons over a 48 hour period would be fine right ,and in the 55 gallon would be 5 gallons(like the helpful articals say)in same time frame ,and the 29 gallon would be 2 1/4 gallons stf,just trying to make sure Im not doing anything wrong. :death:

Last edited:
Im afraid you missed the point of referring you to the articles. Driping kalk is not the same for everyone. It is dependent on the system needs which we do not know so we are not able to advise you on the amount or frequency. You will need to understand the principles of what the kalk will do for you and by testing your water parameters you will discover if kalk is an addition you need or want to use. The need and depletion of calcium and alkalinity in your system will dictate the amount and how ofter. it will take you a month or so to make the determination what is right for your system. Now as for the rate of drip and when, you want to drip when lights are out and ph has a tendency to lower, this helps in not raising the ph too high. You must be careful when using kalk as you can inadvertantly raise the ph too high by dripping too quickly or by dripping too much. So the articles are designed to give you the basic background needed to properly use Kalkwrasser. if you just go by what someone says that is not totally familiar with your system and its needs and water parameter fluctuations you're chancing a serious event to your animals. So, I hope you understand that when I refer you to the helpful articles, it is because the answer to your question entails more than just a simple answer for long term success and I have no way of knowing if you have read the articles or not. so having said my piece, its good to see that you did read the helpful articles. If there is a difficiency in your system and you have decided to use kalkwrasser as a replenisher, then yes the amounts and times are a good place to start, but remember you must initially test ofter to see what the kalk is doing to the system (water parameters) to assure you are getting the results intended. test at least 2 times a day and keep good records for the 1st week and then once every day for a week and then once every 3 days for a week and then once a week at least for a week. Once you manage a month or so you will know exactly how much,how often, and how quickly to dose your system with the additons. As your system developes or you add more corals or coraline algae continues to grow your systems demand may and probably will inclrease and you will have to adjust for it. if the kalk does not get up to where you want to be you can still drip kalk and also use a 2 part aditive. good luck and I hope I have responded to your question adequately this time. let me know if I can be of any further help. good fishin.

Back