Kalkwasser and high Ph

You'd be better off to mix it 3 teaspoons to a gallon and set up a slow drip system.
You'll also want to drip it after lights out to keep from spiking the PH.

i actually made my kalk reactor for about $50. but i had the acrylic cement already.

but it works well for me. i use a aqua-lifter pump with a flow control valve on the intake side from my ro bucket to slow the flow down even more.

and i use a maxi jet pump to stir the kalk a few times a day

I don't think the air pump will keep it stored enough.

Are you just going to drip it?

And I was told that its better to get your Alk and cal up to where you want them and to use kalk to keep it there. Its not such a good idea to use it to raise them.

1 to 3 may be a bit fast. It would be safer to say a gallon a day per 100 gal tank I think. And if its not keeping up, up the kalk you put in that gallon

i drip 2 1/2 gal a day at about 2 drips a sec. the only thing you have to worry about is shooting the ph up high but you can add vinegar to the kalk mix to drop the ph to normal and you can drip it even faster.

I use Pickling lime and mix it with vinegar until cloudy. then add the water. Use a power head instead of air to keep it stirred. Air is bad for the Kalk but I don't remember why.

just to be clear, pickling lime and kalkwasser are the exact same thing.

the reason you don't want to expose the kalk mixture to air is, the carbon dioxide in the air will diffuse into the solution, then it will cause calcium carbonate to form. this is the white precipitate that you see.

Also, if you dose it into your tank too fast, the carbon dioxide already there (not to mention any calcium and carbnates already in your water) will cause precipitation. The exact rate of dosage will be highly dependant on the chemistry of your water at the time of dosing, wether or not you add acid to the kalk mix, and how much CO2 is in your air. slower is better ime.

Back