Keep the filter?

RYknow

Reefing newb
Should we keep the Emperor 400 we have on our 90 gallon, or is the Rogue Wave Skimmer enough? I've been able to finnally dial in the Wave so it's pulling some pretty dark skimmate out.

Is the Rogue Wave going to be able to hold it's own without the Emperor? I personally don't think it's going to be an issue, but I'm just looking for some second opinions.

-RYknow

You should not need the emperor.You can run the filter empty for added flow and run carbon for severals days to a week,once a month.

I'm thinking about selling the filter off with our 55 gallon. I'm hoping to sell our 55 with both Emperor 400's, and pick up another good skimmer (Rogue Wave) for our new 20 gallon.

I realize that the Rogue is a bit much for our 20 gallon, but eventually the 20 gallon will be a nice little reef (the girlfriend just doesn't know it yet. ;-) ).

There must be other ways of running carbon, aside from in the filter?

-RYknow

hmmm. Not that the Emperor is a very nice looking unit, but I like the looks of it better then the reactor. haha. Maybe I'll just keep one of the Emporer's. It does have some pretty decent water flow. Plus it is pretty easy to add carbon when needed.

Just curious though, how do you set the reactor up? I understand having the power head, but how does it pump water back into the tank? Do you need like...an overflow box kind of thing? Or do you just run a piece of tubing into the tank?

-RYknow

Reactors are super easy to use, effective and cheap. If you run carbon or phosphate media, a reactor will do the same job as the Emperor, just better. If you have a good skimmer, the Emperor is optional. And if you keep the Emperor, it may cause you nitrate problems, which is why filters such as the Emperor aren't really recommended for reef tanks.

We haven't been running any kind of phosphate or carbon media. We haven't had any issues up to this point, but then again I'm only running FOWLR right now. I would imagine some kind of media would be in order once we start getting some corals?

-RYknow

Back