Keeping sand clean

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
How do you keep the sand clean in your tanks? I've got a sand bed in my 10g (my 90 is still bare bottom) and the various invert and fish poop just accumulates like crazy. It's very fine aragonite (sugar sized) so I'm not sure how to siphon it out without siphoning out the sand with it. I've got 10 nassarius snails, 1 turbo, 1 astrae conehead, 1 cerith, 1 banded trochus, my urchin, and my firefish in the tank. I've also got 2 250pgh powerheads on opposite sides of the tank, but they aren't doing a very good job getting down under the rocks or in the back corners where poop is accumulating. What do you guys do in your tanks to keep the sand clean?

I dont touch my sand, this is why I keep a few hermits kicking around in the tank, they really do a great job keeping the top cleaned up... I know they can cause trouble but they also do their job really well..:D

I have 2 tiger sand conches in my tank (the 90) that seem to do a good job. They are great because even when they are just moving, they push the sand around.

Back