Keeping scallops and clams

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
My lfs got a big shipment in of scallops. They are gorgeous! They told me I could put one in my tank now. I know better. But after looking at them I think I will eventually want one. How difficult are they to keep?

What about clams?

I know they need really good lighting and I am Pretty sure they filter feed.

Are muscles at like the 1 year mark? Or can you try at around 6 months like corals?

Thanks. I was wondering how the care was. Lfs made it sound like a coral that you just target feed every great once in awhile. I knew that wasn't right. But didn't know how far off.

With most clams, what are the care requirements?

if you get a clam, just get some oyster feast from reef nutrition and put some of that in your tank. the clam will be good. clams also take out nitrates from your tank too.

That new light you got will be great for a clam.
And you wont have to worry about feeding it unless you get ones thats real small,under 2 inchs.

You can get a squamosa clam and they only need moderate lighting. I only have VHO`s.

009.jpg

Scallops are an almost guranteed fatality within a month or two, they're just too tough to keep. Go with the squamie

Yeah, very few people are able to keep scallops alive for more than a couple weeks, let alone months. Clams are a much better choice.

Man that's messed up. My LFS has about 20 of them there..and I'm sure they're expensive..this is the place that sells cleaner shrimp for $40..and yellow tangs are almost $90..

If u buy a scallop u are basacly putting it through the hollocst. ( however I spell it). I target fed mine every day. He still died. That was also with me adding live phytoplankton to the tank too. And alot of it. There are no exceptions the scallop will die. Not to mention that flame scallops hide also. But clams are great. I used to have one until my supper natrial cleaner wrassie started picking at him. If u have a cleaner wrassie witch hopfully u don't clams are not too hard to take care of. Good luck

For the past 2 years I bet I've tried a least 6 different scallops. The electric scallops are very cool. All died within a month. I have quite trying.

Back