Keeping your sand bed clean - starfish?

kevinsimons

Reefing newb
I'm looking for suggestions and ideas for keeping my sand bed stirred and clean - what do you guys all use? Are there any starfish that will take care of this (please, don't suggest sand-sifting stars - they don't survive in the long-term). Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Sandsifting stars can litteraly kill you sand bed, which isn't good. I would stick with snails. They won't eat every single peice of helpful bacteria and living organisms.

I am certainly no expert, but let me relay some of my mistakes. Most stars (mine was a bubble tip brittle star) are some risk to fish. While they won't search out a fish to eat, they may stumble upon one sleeping in a rock one night and be grateful for a free meal (i know mine did, anyway) From what I have read blue linckias and fromias are totally reef safe..but they dont sift the sand
Sandsifter gobies are great. I love them. My only complaint with them is that they get the things living in your sand before any of the fish you have can. In my case my copperbad needs/wants them more then a sandsifter, so the sandsifter went back to the store. Also make sure your rock are placed directly on the glass and not on the sand. a sandsifter can make your rock unstable an cause a rockslide (i lost a cleaner shrimp that way)
Finally, I agree with everyone on the nassarius. I have 7 "super nassarius" and many of the smaller variety. They are great.
I also have a few small hermits, but, I know some people would rather not use them. I have had no confirmed problems with them, although my orange star has wounds from something picking at it at night...could be them.
Anyway, hope some of my ramblings help:)

Back