Kessil Lights?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I know a couple of people out there have the Kessils and I am pretty strongly set on getting a Kessil for my new tank (the hexagonal tank that is 25" across in all directions). My question is what are the advantages of the A350 over the A150, and is it really worth the increased cost? My budget is increasingly limited and while I do want to have some coral in the tank I'm not sure whether this will be a full blown reef. I think the design and spread of the Kessil will work best over this tank given the shape of the tank, but do I really need the A350? If I get the A150, will I be happy with it or will it leave me wanting something more? Thanks!

Personally I would want the a350 just in case I want to make it a full blown reef down the road and so I don't have to worry about what I can and can't keep coral wise. The a150 would be fine but I like knowing I can keep whatever. I have the a350w on my 93g cube and the corals are happy as can be. And if you get the a350 you can always use it more an upgrade or a different tank down the road

SHow tall is the tank?

I have a 150 over my 29 gallon tank that is 18" tall. It is 30" wide and the spread over it is great. If your tank is 24" tall, you might need the 350 for the penetration. Also, the 350 is dimmable whereas the 150 is not.

I do love this little light.

Oooooh that's what she said... :shock:

HAHA, that was inevitable with this conversation LOL

The tank is 24" deep so yes good penetration is important (that's what she said). And dimability is also a plus! Can you independently dim blues and whites? Can you put the different colors on a timer (simulate sunrise/set/moonlight)?

If I wait to get the kessil 350 for a few months, what would you recommend using as a light in the mean time? I have 2 fish that are being housed by someone else and I need to get the tank set up sooner rather than later. I'll have all of the equipment (except a light) on Monday (scheduled BRS delivery). I'm seriously thinking about resealing the tank which will delay me a little from setting it up, but once that's done then all I need to do is cycle the tank and get my fish back. Not sure I'll have enough money saved for the 350 that quickly though, and my fish will need a light! Ideas?

You know I love my Kessil A350. I don't know much about the 150 series other than they come in different colors. I wasn't even aware that you can't dim them. What are the dimensions of your hex tank, Fishy?

You totally ninja'd me. Sounds like the A350 is the way to go. But your fishies don't NEED a light. Save up and get the 350. In the meantime, the lighting in that room should be sufficient since you aren't putting coral in yet.

Also, you can put the light on a timer but not the individual channels.

Last edited:
Tank dimensions are appx 24" tall, 25" wide on the diagonal and 23-24" wide from side to side - I think each side is 12.5 or 13" - its an odd dimension tank. I've talked with the guys at my LFS quite a bit about this tank and we've come to the conclusion that it probably came originally from petco/smart. I guess several years ago they used to have their lines of tanks custom made so that they would only fit their specific stands. It is not a standard sized hexagonal tank. I'm still not sure exactly how many gallons it is, but the various calculators put it somewhere between 37-42g. I got it with my 90g as part of a CL package deal and was told it was a 45g tank but I think its actually a little smaller than that. The guy who gave it to me said he originally found it in a thrift store for $10 (scary, I know!!). Its a pretty cherry color and I'm going to have a canopy built for it. It came with the original stand, which needs some refinishing as well. I leak tested it and it held water but given its history I think I'd just feel safer putting it in my apartment after resealing (unless of course I totally botch the resealing process!) The room its going in actually has very little ambient light. There was an old pc light that came with the tank but it doesn't work and I'm not sure I really want to invest any time/money into changing the ballast and buying new bulbs - I'd rather save that money for the kessil!

The reason I don't know if this will become a full blown reef or not is that I plan to put a dwarf angel in the tank. I'm going back and forth between a lemonpeel angel - love the coloring and its temperment should mesh well with the six-line and basslet - or the flameback - smaller and probably better suited to the tank size, but not as flashy in terms of color. Given the propensity of angels to nip at corals, it will really depend on which corals it takes a liking to as to how many corals end up in the tank. I do like the fact that the 350 is dimmable - that's a big plus in my book, but I haven't ruled out the 150. I do eventually see this tank being upgraded to a 72 bowfront and can add a second kessil over that tank when that happens (though not likely for awhile, probably when I buy a condo next year). Anyhow, just some background and future thoughts that are playing in to my decision making process!

The A150s come in different colors because you can't dim the whites and the blues to change the color temp. Whereas the A350 has two dimming dials one forthe whites and one forvthe blues. You can fine tune the color temp to achieve your desired look.

+1 onnot needing a light forthe fish. If you want one, you can just put a table lamp near the tank for the time until you save up for your Kessil.

Back