kh through the roof

reefman

Reefing newb
my calcium levels are 440 but my kh is 17 i have turned off my calcium reactor and done 10 gallon water change using ro water a couple of days ago does anyone know if there is anything else i can do all of my fish are ok but the leather coral is closed up

17 dKH is extremely high. Are you dosing anything?
The only and best way to drop your alk is water changes. You can do 20% changes every 2-3 days to bring down that alk.

i am not dosing with anything that is why i turned off the reactor to get the calcium levels down i know i have to do water changes but doing to many in a short time will affect other perameters to quickly i have done a water change last friday and are going to do another tomorow 10 gallon ro water change my ph is 8.3 and phospate is 0,alkalinity is up though to 12

I have the same prob??? I have had it for a long time now and I can't seem to get it down. I tested last night my KH was 304.3 and Cal 520 and I don't does at all the only thing I put in is iodine and then coral accel and snow I have a nitrate prob also it seems to stay at 20?? so if you figure somthing out let me know as well

i know i have to do water changes but doing to many in a short time will affect other perameters to quickly
Not really. If you do a 25% water change and your tank is 17 dKH, and the water change water is 10 dKH, the new dKH in the tank will be 15.25.
If the calcium is 440 in the tank, and the water change water 400, the water in the tank will only drop to 430. This is doing a 25% change. You can do that every 3-4 days with no problems at all.
What brand salt are you using?

I tested last night my KH was 304.3 and Cal 520 and I don't does at all the only thing I put in is iodine and then coral accel and snow I have a nitrate prob also it seems to stay at 20?? so if you figure somthing out let me know as well
What salt are you using? Are you using tap water?
What are the ingredients of Coral Accel? What corals do you have that you need to use snow?

If I'm not mistaken,Coral Accel has some calcium and alkalinity buffers in it.
Completely stop dosing anything untill you figure out exactly where its coming from.

i use ready mixed salt from my marine shop the calcium levels are 420 and ro for top up my nitrates are 5 looks like the best thing to do is a 25% water change and see what happens thanks for the advice cant wait for kh to drop to add more corals

Do 25% water changes every 2 or 3 days. It won't hurt anything.

Stop dosing everything. No more additives. No more phyto. No more snow. Don't do anything but feed the fish and do water changes every couple days.

Get your own RO filter. For serious reefing, you need one.

i was just going to say make your own you have no idea what they put in it and you have no control of the salinity they could add copper or anything and you would never know

Have you tested the water you've been getting from the store BEFORE you add it to your tank?

If it had nitrates there would be no point in buying it. They'd need a new RO filter. Maybe there is also copper leaching into their RO water? Maybe they are dosing it at the store to get the parameters adjusted but a new batch has different parameters and they haven't adjusted their dosing methods recently? Salt batches can vary from one lot to the other. Adding 1tsp of alkalinity buffer may have worked for 6 months but a new batch of salt now maybe only requires 1/2tsp to buffer it correctly?

You don't know whats in that salt and you don't know how it was prepared.

Get your own RO unit and make your own saltwater at home. You can get a decent RO unit for about $100-$200. Thats really not that expensive when you consider just how important the water is.

REEF CRYSTALS! ding ding we have a winner, change you salt brand pronto. There have been several bad batches that have cuased several tank crashes.

Back