Killer Chaeto

reefkeeper55

Reefing newb
I was told by my LFS that if I used the chaeto there was the possibility that it could get into my DT and once there it would totally take over my DT. Is this true, and if so does the benefit outweigh the risk?

I don't think so. I have chaeto in my fuge along with some calaupera. Every week or so I pull a chunk of calaupera out of the fuge and give it to my tangs. There is always some chaeto attached to it, but I've never seen it take off the the display. It always disappears.

You are fine running the chaeto in your sump. You will always get little pieces that break away, and make it into the display. I have never heard or seen of anything like what you describe happening. Normally chaeto grows in a ball, so even if it were to ever happen, you can grab the whole thing and throw it back in the sump.

Oh jeez thats pretty funny. I have it growing in my hang on filter and its never given me any issues like fast said its all one long ball of string its not like other algaes.

Small pieces of cheato leak into my main display all the time but they do take root in there. The only place in my main display I have ever seen cheato take root and start to grow was on the back of my urchin and just yesterday it took me all of 10 seconds to pick it off the urchin's back and take it out of the tank.

Caulerpa is another story.

I was told by my LFS that if I used the chaeto there was the possibility that it could get into my DT and once there it would totally take over my DT. Is this true, and if so does the benefit outweigh the risk?

This is not true. Chaeto does not attach to anything -- it's free floating. So you don't risk it taking root anywhere.

He was probably talking about caulerpa, another type of macroalgae commonly used in refugiums. If he meant caulerpa, then yes he was right!

There are so many benefits to using chaeto. I use it as my sole method of filtration for my 90 gallon tank (besides the live rock).

Back