Killer Royal Gramma

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
Alright 'Killer' is an exaggeration but we put a Tail Spot Blenny in the 20G two months ago and the Gramma immediately put the Blennys head in his mouth. Eventually the began to tolerate each other. Tonight we put a firefish in and the Royal Gramma was harassing the new fish to death. The Firefish was curled up in the tiniest corner and looked like he was dead.

We have the Gramma in a little mesh holding cage in the 20G. I plan to let the Firefish get better adjusted and then after a week see if the fishes will get along. Will this work?

I think a 20 gallon may be too small to ask the gramma to share with another fish. They are pretty aggressive fish... Why not just take the gramma back to the store? You've caught him already.

I tried to put a small royal gramma with my 2" yellow watchman goby in my 14 gallon. They got along for a little while, but after a few months, the gramma attacked the goby one morning and almost killed the poor little guy...

...Needless to say, I had to separate the two...

I wish you luck, though. :?

I think a 20 gallon may be too small to ask the gramma to share with another fish. They are pretty aggressive fish... Why not just take the gramma back to the store? You've caught him already.

Aggressive? I thought the Gramma was supposed to be a peaceful fish?

Grammas can be extremely aggressive.There one in the 280 at the LFS that is a complete bastard.I've seen it cause fish 5 times its size to assume the fetal position in a corner.

My RG was a model citizen, but I've heard they can be particularly grumpy with firefish and other similarly shaped fish. A 20 gallon is also a little on the small side for them, especially if you're asking them to share the space with a fish they don't tend to get along with anyway.

Back