Killing my rock

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
I have a bunch, I mean a bunch, of rock that is covered in aiptasia and bristle worms. I want to remove the aiptasia and the bristleworms without killing all the good stuff on the rock. Is this possible?

I suspect it isn't possible. So I'll ask the next question. How can I kill, I mean KILL every bit of aiptasia and bristleworms on the rock? I would like to use this rock eventually so whatever I do to the rock, I need to be able to bring it back to life.

Thanks for any help,
Catherine

Freshwater dip will kill bristleworms and everything else good in and on the live rock...pods,brittlestars and other worms so I don't believe it is possible.They make bristleworm traps but I don't know how well they work.Why are you wanting to kill the bristleworms.TW,freshwater will not kill aiptasia unless it is scalding hot.

I hear people suggest boiling the rock.That will surely kill everything.

Thanks, reeffreak.

The bristleworms sting my horses and I'm allergic to them so I would love to get rid of them.

Maybe I should just pull all the rock and dry it out? That should take care of the aiptasia?

C

I've soaked rock in bleach, then rinsed with tap water and put in a bucket with chlorinator. Everything was quite dead on that rock.

Tie a shoelace around the rock, boil on the stove for 20 minutes (using the shoelace to pull the rock out). It will stink terribly, but it will kill it off.

+1 everyone's ideas. I've done the boiling water and bleach(well I didn't do it), and everything successfully was killed. Good luck. :)

Tie a shoelace around the rock, boil on the stove for 20 minutes (using the shoelace to pull the rock out). It will stink terribly, but it will kill it off.

If I recall, some of your kenya weed survived the boiling did it not?

Just remember Cath, that there are bristle worms in the substrate too. So those would just repopulate the rock. Unless you are resetting up the tank with fresh substrate, you will most likely always have bristle worms.

As for the apstasia, would a few peppermint shrimp be compatible with your horsies?

Yeah, some majano and kenya tree survived, but I didn't boil all my rock for 20 minutes. I think if you do that length of time, it will work.

A weed can survive a 20 minute boiling, but a fish can't survive a 5 degree temperature swing.

Isn't that always the way.

I think I'm leaning toward the bleach and dechlorination. Gosh, I hate to kill them. I've got a bunch of pep shrimp in the tank now and there is still a problem with the aiptasia. IDK, I'll decide by the weekend. I really, really appreciate all your input!

Catherine

What I have done and you can read my other posts is freash water dip the rock, let it sit for 20 mins this will pull the bristil worms out then before taking it out of the water shake it around for a min to knock any extra hangers loose. see any hangin on use a pair of tweeser and pull them off. As far as the aptisha I had a bad out break of it cause I decided to be experimental and use a pair of tweeser and pull it off then using a qtip and wiping the excess clean (so what I thought) Then I could see about 15 quarter size in my display, got 8 pepperment shrimp (im my 75) and did the job after a months time or so. Now I have none. But on the flip side I didnt feed the shrimp anything...... what ever was in the tank at the time. did a water change and I am aptisha free!! Good luck. Hope all goes well.

Back