Kinda new to this, need help setting up my tank!!

cms722

Reefing newb
I have just bought a 55 gallon tank and wanted to set it up as a saltwater tank. I am new to this so I want to make sure I do everything right before I put fish in the tank. It wasn't a very expensive tank. One of the topfin ones that I got from PetSmart. What I want to know is what I need to do to get it cycling. I have looked at alot of different things and everyone says something different. How do I know when it has gone through the cycle and is safe to add fish? I wanted to avoid putting fish into it until it was set up so that the possibility of loosing them is minimal. Is there anything such as maybe crabs or shrimp that are hardy enough to handle a new tank while it cycles to help with the cycle? I also heard that the filter pads that come with the outside hanging filters are bad. Is this true? What do I do remedy this? Sorry I have so many questions in one post. Thanks for the help! :D

You don't need any livestock (fish, crabs, etc) in the tank to start it to cycle. Simply fill it with water, add salt, put in your live rock or dry rock (1-2 lbs per gallon)...and throw a piece of raw table shrimp in there.

Once you do that...you've got roughly 3-4 weeks to research what your next steps are while it's cycling.

Welcome aboard, ask as many questions as you need.

Welcome to the site...we're glad to have you. A 55gal is a great size tank to start off with. When filling it, DON'T use tap/sink water, use R/O water. If you haven't already gotten your sand, DON'T get the crushed coral, its not small enough for the fish and sand sifter animals to use, and it traps dirt, food, and fish crap, which will rot and mess up your water quality. When starting your cycle, you can use a piece of raw shrimp or some fish food. Once it starts to rot and raise your ammonia, your cycle has started...once the ammonia and nitrites have disappeared to zero, then the cycle is complete. Then you can add a hardy fish to the tank. You can also start adding your crabs and/or snails. Also, rule of thump, you'll need 1-2lbs of rock per gallon, which is your primary source of filtration. Good luck and feel free to ask questions.

Reef ready? Do you mean one that is able to be used for a saltwater tank? If that's what you mean than yes it is. As for a sump, I have read some things about them but don't completely know how it all works. Do I have to have one or can I do the tank without one? Will it be something that I can do at a later date? Right now I have the lights that came with the kit. It says 40g on it but I'm not sure what they are exactly. None of the stuff that came with them really explain exactly what wattage is but I do know they are flourescent lights and not the LED ones.

I heard about the "don't use tap water" rule because of all the stuff that can be in it but what is R/O water? As for the sand, I read about live sand. Is this something that is required or can it just be any kind of sand? I understand how it works with the filtration and helping with the good bacteria and everything. I just want to make sure that I do it all the right way. You said 1-2 lbs of rock per gallon so with a 55 gallon tank I need 50-100 lbs of rock? Is this something that I should put in all at once or gradually? I read about cured and not cured live rock. How does that all work? I know that there is bacteria that comes with the cured rock and that its not good to put them in a tank that hasn't been completely cycled but do I need to get them when I start the cycle? Sorry for so many questions again. I keep thinking of more as I go! lol

Oh and do I need to get a powerhead right away before I start the cycle or is that something that I get after the cycle has finished and before I put the fish in the tank? Thanks for the help and quick replies.

Welcome to the site...we're glad to have you. A 55gal is a great size tank to start off with. When filling it, DON'T use tap/sink water, use R/O water. If you haven't already gotten your sand, DON'T get the crushed coral, its not small enough for the fish and sand sifter animals to use, and it traps dirt, food, and fish crap, which will rot and mess up your water quality. When starting your cycle, you can use a piece of raw shrimp or some fish food. Once it starts to rot and raise your ammonia, your cycle has started...once the ammonia and nitrites have disappeared to zero, then the cycle is complete. Then you can add a hardy fish to the tank. You can also start adding your crabs and/or snails. Also, rule of thump, you'll need 1-2lbs of rock per gallon, which is your primary source of filtration. Good luck and feel free to ask questions.
Reef ready? Do you mean one that is able to be used for a saltwater tank? If that's what you mean than yes it is. As for a sump, I have read some things about them but don't completely know how it all works. Do I have to have one or can I do the tank without one? Will it be something that I can do at a later date? Right now I have the lights that came with the kit. It says 40g on it but I'm not sure what they are exactly. None of the stuff that came with them really explain exactly what wattage is but I do know they are flourescent lights and not the LED ones.

I heard about the "don't use tap water" rule because of all the stuff that can be in it but what is R/O water? As for the sand, I read about live sand. Is this something that is required or can it just be any kind of sand? I understand how it works with the filtration and helping with the good bacteria and everything. I just want to make sure that I do it all the right way. You said 1-2 lbs of rock per gallon so with a 55 gallon tank I need 50-100 lbs of rock? Is this something that I should put in all at once or gradually? I read about cured and not cured live rock. How does that all work? I know that there is bacteria that comes with the cured rock and that its not good to put them in a tank that hasn't been completely cycled but do I need to get them when I start the cycle? Sorry for so many questions again. I keep thinking of more as I go! lol

Oh and do I need to get a powerhead right away before I start the cycle or is that something that I get after the cycle has finished and before I put the fish in the tank? Thanks for the help and quick replies.

reef ready means it has an overflow built in to it so water can drain down into a second tank below your display tank. the second tank is the sump and is very good thing to have. It increases your water volume which is always good, and it give you a place to put your equipment such a skimmer or heater. You can also have a refuge area which is a good place for letting macro algae grow and to let micro fawna such a pods live in peace and the flow out the display tank where they can be eaten (yay free food).

And you can add it at later date. If you bought your tank from pet co, im sure its not a reef ready tank. If you do want to add a sump you will just need an overflow box to get the water down there.

Those lights that come with those tanks wont be enough to support any corals but will work just fine if you are going to do fish only. Remember, saltwater rules are different and you can only have one small fish for every 10 gallons. So for your tank you are looking at a maximum of 5 fish. And each fish need to live in a certain size tank to live in. A fish that need a 6 foot long tank to be happy will probably stress and die in a smaller tank so keep the need tank size in mind when you are buying your fish.

Also, take everything the LFS tells you with a grain of salt. Its their job to sell you stuff and if they sell you stuff that will die and you go back and buy more its a win for them. Also just because they work there, doesnt mean they know anything. They could be there just for the pay check. Here, we wont make anything off you and we dont want to see you fail, so our advice is the best we have to give.

RO/DI water means that is has been purified by reverse osmosis, its it truly pure water which is the best thing for making your saltwater with.

Also you dont need to buy live sand, and i personally highly doubt its live after sitting in a bag for who knows how longs. All live means for rock or sand is that is has bacteria living on it that can break down toxic chemicals from fish poop into less toxic chemicals. So because the bacteria will grow and spread, everything in your tank will be live after a time. So when you do buy your rock (and i suggest adding it all at once) you only need to buy a few lbs of live rock. You can get dry rock for much cheaper too. My favorite place to buy dry rock is marcorocks.com.

Powerheads are very important, if you think about it, the reef is never still and neither should your tank. You want 15-20 times the volume of your tank turned over per hour. A couple powerheads are better than one too. It will help you make it so that there are no dead flow spots where stuff can settle out, creating a perfect environment for ugly algae to grow. You can put them after the cycle, but you need it before you get fish. Make sure at least one of your powerheads is rippling the surface of your tank to get good gas exchange.

I hope i got everything! But please continue to ask questions, being an informed reef will take you so much farther (and save you a ton of money and fishy lives) in this hobby

You can add a sump later, but the plumbing is easier done from the start.

Best get a plan together and not jump into this too fast if you never had a salt water tank.

If the tank does not have an overflow built into it you will need to add one if you use a sump. You can use all hang on the back stuff (HOB) , but, you may want to go with a sump so you can have the heater and fuge down there. YOu can do this more than one way. I started out without a sump or an overflow, but quickly added one because of all the benefits, plus you can move all the equipment into it.

The light you have seems to be just the basic flourecent freshwater bulbs, they are ok for viewing fish, but you will need to upgrade for corals.

YOu can start out with just water, some rock, and a power head or two to start your tank cycling, that gives you a few weeks to get all the other stuff, plus do reshearch.

We are here to help and our combined experience can save you hundreds of dollars, and lost fish.

We also feed on pictures of others peoples tanks, so post some pictures!

I have a 55 tank, with an overflow I added, and a sump, and in the beginning I thought I could do this with two canister filters, and thats all gone now and just running with 3 powerheads and my sump with skimmer, heater, and fuge.

reef ready means it has an overflow built in to it so water can drain down into a second tank below your display tank. the second tank is the sump and is very good thing to have. It increases your water volume which is always good, and it give you a place to put your equipment such a skimmer or heater. You can also have a refuge area which is a good place for letting macro algae grow and to let micro fawna such a pods live in peace and the flow out the display tank where they can be eaten (yay free food).

And you can add it at later date. If you bought your tank from pet co, im sure its not a reef ready tank. If you do want to add a sump you will just need an overflow box to get the water down there.

Those lights that come with those tanks wont be enough to support any corals but will work just fine if you are going to do fish only. Remember, saltwater rules are different and you can only have one small fish for every 10 gallons. So for your tank you are looking at a maximum of 5 fish. And each fish need to live in a certain size tank to live in. A fish that need a 6 foot long tank to be happy will probably stress and die in a smaller tank so keep the need tank size in mind when you are buying your fish.

Also, take everything the LFS tells you with a grain of salt. Its their job to sell you stuff and if they sell you stuff that will die and you go back and buy more its a win for them. Also just because they work there, doesnt mean they know anything. They could be there just for the pay check. Here, we wont make anything off you and we dont want to see you fail, so our advice is the best we have to give.

RO/DI water means that is has been purified by reverse osmosis, its it truly pure water which is the best thing for making your saltwater with.

Also you dont need to buy live sand, and i personally highly doubt its live after sitting in a bag for who knows how longs. All live means for rock or sand is that is has bacteria living on it that can break down toxic chemicals from fish poop into less toxic chemicals. So because the bacteria will grow and spread, everything in your tank will be live after a time. So when you do buy your rock (and i suggest adding it all at once) you only need to buy a few lbs of live rock. You can get dry rock for much cheaper too. My favorite place to buy dry rock is marcorocks.com.

Powerheads are very important, if you think about it, the reef is never still and neither should your tank. You want 15-20 times the volume of your tank turned over per hour. A couple powerheads are better than one too. It will help you make it so that there are no dead flow spots where stuff can settle out, creating a perfect environment for ugly algae to grow. You can put them after the cycle, but you need it before you get fish. Make sure at least one of your powerheads is rippling the surface of your tank to get good gas exchange.

I hope i got everything! But please continue to ask questions, being an informed reef will take you so much farther (and save you a ton of money and fishy lives) in this hobby
Ok, I'll look into sumps then. I had seen alot about them, just wasn't exactly sure on their whole purpose. Are they something that I have to buy alot of equipment for or is it one of those things that I can kind of do myself? You said something about a skimmer, what exactly is that? I mean I get the idea sort of, lol, but I'm just trying to learn all these terms and understand them better.

What you said about the lighting not being enough I kind of figured. I definitely want to be able to have corals at some point so I guess I'm going to have to look into new lighting. Is it as simple as changing the kind of bulbs I already have or is it more complex than that? And I can use distilled water? Like that I got from the store? Or is there an easier way to get water to fill up the tank?

Now I'm trying to make sure I followed you with what you said about the live rock, so bear with me, lol. You said I DON'T need to purchase actual live sand? Can I use the cheap sand I bought to fill up my daughter's sand box from WalMart? Lol I know, silly question, but I had to ask. And I only need to buy some live rock as long as I add dry rock with it at the same time? I read that if I buy live rock and put it into a tank that hasn't been cycled yet that it will kill everything on it and it will have been pointless for it to have been live rock. Is that true? Thank you so much for your patience with me on this =)

If your tank isnt drilled you will need an overflow box to get water down to the sump, and then you will need a pump to get the water back up to the display tank. The sump can be made from a plastic tub, it doesnt need to be another glass tank. Most people put baffles in the sump to separate the equipment from the refuge area. The refuge is a place where macro algae are allowed to grow, instead of in your display tank. The macro algae will remove unwanted nitrates from the water column. It also provides a place for pods to live, grow and reproduce. They will then be washed out to the main tank where they can be eaten by the fish. Many people like to put their heaters in the sump so you dont see them and their protein skimmer. You can buy protein skimmers that hang off the back, but they are kinda ugly.

A protein skimmer removes particles from the water column that would otherwise rot and release chemicals back into the water that are toxic to inverts and fuel for ugly algae. It work by bubbling out the particles and collecting them in a cup which you can just rinse out. A really great protein skimmer are the reef octopus skimmers, but no matter what brand you get, make sure you get one rated for twice your water volume. Also be wary of cheap skimmers, they really are you get what you pay for item.

And sadly you cant just change the bulbs. You want to aim for at least 3 watts per gallon and more if you eventually want to keep clams or nems. A great light that would allow you to keep anything you want is this light: Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures

And distilled water works just fine, but it will in the long run be more costly and it is a pain in the ass to haul water. You can make your own RO/DI water. A unit costs $100-$150. You want to get one that is at least 4 stages. Many lfs also sell RO/DI water. You should buy a TDS meter (on ebay around $10, make sure to get the calibrating oil) to make sure either your filters are still working and the lfs has changed their filters recently. You should have a reading of 10 or less. Higher means its time to change the filter.

Nope, no need to buy live sand, but dont get sand box sand either. Who knows what else is there? Instead you can get dry aragonite sand from the LFS, much cheaper.

Live rock simply means that it has a population of bacteria on it that can process fish waste into less toxic chemicals. So the bacteria will live through the cycle, and actually cycling a tank means you are actually growing the bacteria up so you have enough to handle your first fish. (Side note: growing up the bacteria population is why you have to wait at least 3 weeks between adding fish, the bacteria need to grow to handle the new waste level before you add more to it) But the odds are pretty good that some of the other micro fauna on the few lbs of live rock you buy will also make it. You can also add dry rock any time you want, but speaking from experience, its much easier to have all the rocks you want in there in the beginning.

Please keep asking away, an educated reefer is a successful reefer

:D

Thank you so much! You've been such a big help with this. I always worry about being a bother and asking too many questions!

So, I'm going to get the sand and rock today sometime. How do I know I have enough sand in the tank? Also, do you know of anywhere I can look up some kind of step by step instructions on how to put together/build a sump? I would have to create an overflow box as well seeing my tank isn't drilled. I am pretty visual so anything that goes into detail would really help lol.

I wouldnt have more than a half inch of sand. More than that and less than 6 inches traps too much stuff and isnt deep enough for a deep sand bed. But if you do want a burrying wrasses in the future then its ok to have an inch deep sand bed.

Also you can buy overflow boxes, i have this one: Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes

There are some much nicer ones that are more fail safe, but i cant remember the website name at the moment. Hopefully BL1 (i think) will see this and post it.

And i think the best way to see different sump designs is to look through tank showcase threads. Some good ones are d2mini's BL1 fastrd400 off the top of my head.

With the overflow box, do I get the one that can be used for up to 75 gallons seeing my tanks is a 55? Or should I go with something double? I'm not sure how that works.

With the overflow box, do I get the one that can be used for up to 75 gallons seeing my tanks is a 55? Or should I go with something double? I'm not sure how that works.

I'm wondering about sizes too. Is it like a skimmer, where you should get one rated for twice the size of your tank?

Yep, over time you wont be able to tell the difference with the rocks

Also you want get an overflow rate that for around what the return pump will pump back up. I personally have had issues with my overflow not moving as much water as expected so i would get one rated for twice what the return pump is suppose to do.

Back