Labeled Platygyra

chichimom79

reef junkie
All of my searches for platygyra take me to the typical maze brain coral. Can someone tell me more about this coral? Thanks :D

012-1.jpg

I'm pretty sure that was mislabeled. It's not like any platygyra I've seen. That looks like a flowerpot coral (goniopora) to me. Do the little "flowers" have stalks? I can't quite tell what it is exactly.

It doesn't close up much that my waking eyes have seen. Plus, I don't have a moonlight on that tank at night. Hard to see. The whole thing reminds me of a mini-elegance. The fleshy part between the tentacles is green and kind of striped.
I'll try to get a better pic

Nope. It doesn't have several heads or look like polyps. It's all one piece with tentacles(seriously looks like a mini-elegance), more like the second pic on this web page. Not sure of the reliability of this site, however...
Maze Brain Coral Care

This is a much older picture
DSC_0017-6.jpg

Now that it has dozens of new heads, the tentacles are much shorter and everything is smooshed together. The picture below is the best i have of it right now, its in the upper right hand corner
DSC_0106-1.jpg

Can you take an overhead picture of it and post it? From the angle of the pictures you've posted it looks like there are individual polyps rather than extended tentacles, so I think it is hard for us to get an accurate idea of what it looks like from above! Maybe it looks more like a maze brain from a different angle? I too would have said duncan, flowerpot, or dendros from the pics!

I agree. That is what the pics make it look like, but it really looks like a miniature elegance coral. Will try one more time with my other camera.

:roll: Nope, the Kodak is suckier than the iPhone. Here's a few more shots.
This is taken with the coral closed up. I know you can't tell much except that it is one piece and not polyps :)
006-7.jpg

And a few more shots of it open
008-4.jpg

009-4.jpg

011-3.jpg

Thanks for your help. Maybe I got my hands on something not everybody has :mrgreen:

tell me more about it. DOes it have a hard skeleton? Or is it completely soft? almost looks like a compressed elegance coral or a fluffy leptastrea.s so weird, yet ima n00b so what do i know ;)

Back