Large 2.5 inch Turbo -starving?

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
My large Mexican Turbo has eaten most of the evil red turf algae from my tank but now it looks like there is not enough for him to eat. I tried putting him on top of algae sheets but he doesn't seem to eat it. What can I feed him?

Also, the last week he just hangs out on the glass at the water's edge. I keep the temp at approx 82F to 82.5 because I've had upward spikes. I know they like 78F or lower water. Maybe he crawls up to the water surface to cool off?

My turbos sometimes hang out at the water line also, occasionally even half out of the water. I assumed they were searching out a higher temp because of the heat coming from the T-5's. :dunno: I keep my tank at 78 but during the summer months, it seems to creep up to 80 or 81 often.

I do feed mine algae sheets and they seem to respond to the kind with garlic in them better than the plain. When I use the plain sheets, they only notice them if they happen to bump into them but the garlic sheets will draw them from across the tank.

I've noticed they prefer to eat the sheet when it is pressed against the glass. I'll place the algae in a clip (I use the magnetic clip) and then place the snail on the glass. Then I move the clip close to the snail until he finds it. When I put the algae sheets under a rock, they would try to eat it but it always came loose and would float away.

How is you little guy doing?

I have four 1 inch turbos in my 110. They move around for a while then they just like sit in one spot, sometimes for quite some time...

Should I be feeding them algae sheets? I don't have much algae in the tank besides hair algae, and they don't eat that, do they?

+1 chiqui bb
Sen, I lost one of my 4. But the others I can feed seaweed sheets. The one that 'cured' my rtf ate seaweed from my hand! lol The temp in that little tank (28g jbj) can spike to almost 84 and yet he's fine. Mine spends a week in the LR, a day on the glass, here and there. If I see it on the glass for a day, I put a piece under him and he literally sucks it down! I hold it until it feeds then secure it with a little mag-float.

And yes Sir Alex, they tear up the RTA, along with just about every other nuisance algae! Four in a 110 is fine, probably plenty for them to eat, but a little seaweed now and again wouldn't hurt! Check this out...
https://www.livingreefs.com/red-turf-algae-battle-breakthrough-t34790.html

That's great sen! Hey, do you have before and after pics? I flipped my rocks over and let him feed on the other sides. It's cleaning up real good! Good luck buddy!

That's great sen! Hey, do you have before and after pics? I flipped my rocks over and let him feed on the other sides. It's cleaning up real good! Good luck buddy!

I'll rumage around for pics. Good idea about flipping the rock.

Back