Leaking Tank?

Munch

Reefing newb
I got a used but already established glass tank a little over a month ago but over the last few days I have noticed salt crust creeping out of the plastic trim around the bottom. The crust starts right at the corner and goes about 2 or 3 inches along the trim and about 1 inch up the glass. I cleaned it up but it came back a couple days later so I think there may be a leak although there is no moisture or anything on the bottom of the tank.

Could the crust be from water I spilled while doing water changes (I may drip a little down the glass but not very much) or is it a leak? If it is a leak should I get rid of the tank before it fails and ruins my house or what??

Thanks! :Cheers:

It could be from water that dripped down, or from a leak. Most leaks do start off pretty slow. I'd clean it up and then be very careful not to do any work near that side of the tank for a few days. It the salt creep comes back then yes it is likely a slow leak and you'll want to replace the tank.

For what its worth, I get the same thing on my 90g, but figured out that its just because I'm always moving stuff around in the tank or feeding, and constantly dripping a little water here and there even when I don't realize it. Once I cleaned up the area and left it alone for a few days the salt creep was gone!

Fingers crossed its just dripped water and not a leak!

Back