learning how to frag

Treezer8

Reefing newb
So my next objective in this hobby is learning how to frag corals.
The questions i have are:

What do i need to start?
What are some easy beginner corals to start out with?
And if there is a good book/video out there that shows the process and how it should be done.

Thanks! I'd love to start sharing some of the rare corals i have with friends

The easiest corals are the branching stoney corals. Just break them between their heads. Mushrooms are also easy. Just slice them like a pie. Make sure that each piece has some of the mouth in it.

Most coral is fairly easy to frag, it just takes a bit of knowledge and the right tools. You can buy a coral propagation kit, it includes all the tools you'd need.

There were a few videos here on LR from members that helped me back in the day.

And Super Glue to attach them to a nice little piece of rubble (or one of those ugly plugs if you wish).

I use a dedicated fragging bowl, too (I think mine is 9" round and 2" deep or so). If you glue a coral to a rock, just dip it back in the saltwater for a second and it cures instantly.

And Super Glue to attach them to a nice little piece of rubble (or one of those ugly plugs if you wish).

I use a dedicated fragging bowl, too (I think mine is 9" round and 2" deep or so). If you glue a coral to a rock, just dip it back in the saltwater for a second and it cures instantly.

...and gloves and eye protection...very important!
Also coral dip.

Who wears ppe? I do! I toss my hard hat on, too. ; )

I dont use coral dip and have never had issuesk but it does help if you choose to use it.

Hard hat, o/a welding faceshield, foundry leathers (except for nitrile gloves; leathers too thick), shit kickers and my WWII USAAF issue gas mask.

Back