LED light for 10 gallon refugium

reefnoob

Reefing newb
Anyone know of LED lights I can use for a 10 gallon refugium? I'm growing macroalgae in there. I'm looking for 1 that is in the $50-$60 price range, of course, if it's even cheaper than that it would be great.

One of the clamp-on shop lights from the hardware store works fine. Like this:

ShopLight.jpg

I used two of those CFL bulbs over my 35 gallon fuge. I don't think wpg really matters, you just need to make sure it's lit. For a 10 gallon refugium, one bulb would be fine.

They don't sell them with a lot of watts (their purpose is to be a low-wattage bulb to conserve electricity). I think they are normally 16 or 23 watts. They do get hot, but the clamp-on light fixture is metal (so it doesn't melt) and it wouldn't normally be touching anything.

Yes, I've ordered several things from there and have been quite happy - see my review in the vendor review section.

But Biff is right that the shop light shouldn't heat up the water too much. I personally just don't have room under my stand to really house a shoplight and like how tiny but powerful the JBJ light is. I think it comes down to a matter of preference.

Last edited:
Back