LED Lighting for Reef Tanks

Adgie

Reefing newb
Is LED lighting picking up any traction in the hobby? When I last checked, Halides and VHO were all the buzz.

-A

When VHO were all the buzz?Gosh,that must of been many,many years ago,mid 90's maybe.

Several members here have them.They are awesome if you can afford the investment.

Right now t5HO and MH's are the least expensive. But in the past couple years, LEDs have gone from a couple thousand dollars down to under a grand. I feel that in a few more years, the price will be comparable to the other lighting options.

More and more people are using LEDs over their tanks. And so far, the reviews have been very positive! For me, they are still out of my price range. I think in the next 5 years or so, their prices will be competitive with T5s and halides, and will be the reef lighting of choice.

I've been seeing LED grids show up more in the photography space. Still pricey though.

In the single or quad LED format, they are showing up more in flashlights and dive lights.

The industry, however, tends to remain about 1 year behind in output power and battery technology than is actually available.

Still waiting.

-Adrian

so how many LED lights would you need to add to get up to "reef quaility lighting"? I heard the watt/gal is old news, but 4watts per gal of LED is alot. What would a good rule of thumb be? I have a 90gal standard, wondering myself if a few LED could give me the boost I need. I was looking at adding these
dot_clear.gif
ecoxotic Panorama LED Module how many would I need to add?

The Ecoxotics don't have any optics, so I'm not sure what kind of PAR you'll actually see. I'll be lighting my tank with LED's when it gets set up in the near future. I looked at the Ecoxotic modules but decided to go with the Aqua Illumination system. One of their modules has the same output as a 250W Metal Halide

AquaIllumination

I am 27. That is NOT almost thirty. :p

Every one knows that you round up once you get past half way. So since you are older than 25, you are almost 30 :mrgreen:

That being said, I turned 32 earlier this year. I didnt feel old at all until my wife got pregnant... only old people have kids :D

Back