led lighting

johno1973

Reefing newb
I am considering LED lights for my tank but I am confused as to the wattage conversion. Since they emit more light with less watts how many watts, or lumens, are needed per gallon? The lights I am looking at emit 50-60 lumens/watt. I am also looking at suplementing with an actinic T5 and possibly even lunar lights. My concern is how many systems will I need.

Thanks, I was originally going to go with Mh but being the environmentalist that I am I will jump at any opportunity to reduce electricity ccunsumption. congrats on the upcoming wedding.

Thanks, I was originally going to go with Mh but being the environmentalist that I am I will jump at any opportunity to reduce electricity ccunsumption. congrats on the upcoming wedding.

No bulbs to replace, no heat transfer to the tank, and lower power usage are worth the higher initial purchase price to me

Those focus optics are becoming as important as individual reflectors are to T5's.

Watts per gallon is especially outdated for LEDs.You would only need one module of the AI if this is for a 29g.Because the light is focus and they put out a ton of PAR,you can hang them pretty high up without getting a spotlight effect.

That light will be ok if you're keeping fish only but, if you want corals then that light won't be enough.

Back