LED Lighting?

I just made my lighting for my 46, obviously LED and I'm not even using full 1 watt LED's and everything in my tank is loving it. I haven't tested any hard corals yet but that's next. When my LFS guy takes our second light and starts to sell them for us but we will be testing the growth first. I think in the long run LED is the way to go, with 50,000 hours of run time, and the ease of replacement.

I cannot wait until LEDs come down in price. The Ecoray 60D from Pet Solutions isn't a terrible price, until you see that they suggest 8 of them for a 125 gallon. It would use half the electricity of a comparable MH fixture, but the price still wouldn't justify it.

I just made my lighting for my 46, obviously LED and I'm not even using full 1 watt LED's and everything in my tank is loving it. I haven't tested any hard corals yet but that's next. When my LFS guy takes our second light and starts to sell them for us but we will be testing the growth first. I think in the long run LED is the way to go, with 50,000 hours of run time, and the ease of replacement.

I just learned that my Nano Cube uses 25 3 watt LEDs. No wonder they say you can keep just about everything in there even SPS and clams. :bounce:

Those evolution lights look pretty nifty! I did some quick calculations comparing the cost of 3 of those compared to a 3 MH/T5 unit. The total cost after 5 years for the original equipment, electricity, and bulbs would be $1,686 for the LEDs, and $4,853 for a MH setup.

Those evolution lights look pretty nifty! I did some quick calculations comparing the cost of 3 of those compared to a 3 MH/T5 unit. The total cost after 5 years for the original equipment, electricity, and bulbs would be $1,686 for the LEDs, and $4,853 for a MH setup.

That's probably the biggest reason why I'm interested in switching over. I'm trying to make everything in my house more energy efficient, not only to save money, but to minimize my negative impact on the environment. So far, I've replaced all the doors and windows, had a brand new HVAC system installed, and replaced all the old appliances. My aquarium seems like a piece of the problem that I should be tackling if I'm serious about saving energy in my home.

The long term cost savings and helping the environment by using less energy was one of the reasons I went with LED. We used to have bearded dragons so I knew that eventually you are going to have to replace the bulbs so you have to figure in those costs as well when you are comparing pricing between LED and MH.

I have the aqua illumination LEDs and am nothing but happy with them. If you check out my build thread you can check them out. I got amazing growth with them, and they look truly amazing. If you've got any questions, feel free to ask me!

Back