LED lighting

farmboy

Reefing newb
I would like to buy the new LED lighting? any coments on quality VS T8 and what system would be the best? 6' x 2 x 3 tank

Thanks

Dennis

If you were to go with the led's, you'd need 2-3 fixtures over a 6ft tank, but you would'nt have to change bulbs for approx 10 yrs...vs. If you went with a t-5 system, you'd need a 6 bulb with independent reflectors.

My concern is the the quality of the Kelvin output? Does any one have an LED that would steer me to a quality unit? Brands?

Thanks
Dennis

there are many led's out there. many out compete halides by a long shot. try orphek, a quick google search will come up with many results.

The Ecotech looks good, D2mni has a prototype that he is testing for them

Do your research on LED's there are a lot of Chinese knock off's out there right now, capitalizing on the fad. Decent LED fixtures are still fairly expensive

I did a lot of research and went with the AquaIllumination Sol Super Blues that you can find here:
AI - life illuminated

I would actually advise against the Orphek units. I have yet to find a review of them not done by an employee of the company with extra 'shilling' thrown in for good measure.

On a 6x2x3 you're going to need something with Optics, so look at AquaIllumination or the MaxSpect units

I have 3 AI Sol Super Blues over my 180 (6x2x2) and I absolutely love the look- you can check my build thread for photos

Thanks!

I am assuming you do not work for the lighting company? I am sorry that I am so green to even think of that.

You can see an increase in coral growth due to the LED lights? I am amazed at the price... I can afford it the lights but I hate waste and I will buy the LED's direct

Thanks again

I do not work for a lighting company, I just did months of reading various forums and reef based websites, and when it came time to spend my money, I went with the AquaIllumination Sol Super Blues

I haven't seen anything available yet that has made me regret my decision, however I think the new LED units from EcoTech Marine will give the AI's a run for their money. To me, the money was well spent.

I paid $1200 for a MH / T5 fixture from Foster and Smith when my tank was setup on sale(the retail price was $1400) , and the LED's from AI for the same tank were $1500 or so. I just wish the price on the LEDs had come down before I bought my first lighting fixture, I would have had LED's from the start. (When my tank was set up, you needed more of the AI units for the same coverage, and it would have cost me $3k - which is why I went with MH/T5 to start)

Thanks!

I priced out LED's, might build my own to fit my tank and even add some other colors for "the look". I priced out the primary colors, 450nm Blues and 5000-10,000k whites, only $5.50 ea "Cree's" with a reflector and a controller for $80. set in Lexan. Just takes time I do not have...or want to use.

Back