Lidless tank

Redsprint

Reefing newb
Hello all,

So during the great tank rebuild on my 57 gallon tank I left the hood off for a few days and found I liked tHe look.

I have just bought an ATI 6x54 power module to hang over the tank. My intention was to remove the lids and brace and the supports for them. The tank is basically a 4x2x2 and was made of ten mill glass so as not to need the brace if I ever wanted to remove it. I may add a smaller brace anyway though.

Any thoughts about leaving the lids off etc? I know about the evaporation. I don,t think I have any notorious jumpers. An as fur angel, kole tang, fox face and clown fish.

Cheers

Paul

You really dont want a solid lid on any tank, it really hinders light penetration and gas exchange, plus it will keep your tank running hot.

If you do find you need a lid there are sever DIY threads about how to make mesh ones.

I made a screen lid out of screen framing form lowes and netting from bulkreefsupply (totaled at about $20). It wasn't hard and now I don't have to worry about any fish jumping out.

Good point about the heat. That will help a bit in Summer I guess.

Yes I can easily make a mesh top, though I would rather not. Have people had many bad experience with Fishy suicide with Amgels and Tangs? I'm pretty sure the Clown will stay put.

I guess given that they say the T5 fitting should only be about 3 or 4 inches from the water (?). I guess they might hit the light fitting if they really put on a burst of speed.

Cheers

Paul

Hello again,

Here is a pic of my tank without the hood. I quite like the look, though at the moment I have my older light fixtures just resting on the lids. The new ATI fitting gets here in a couple of days.

So my lights currently sit about 2.5 inches from the water. Is it right that the pendant fixture should be only about 4 inches from the water? I was thinking a bit higher but am probably thinking of metal halides that I have seen.

cheers

Paul

Attachments

• Lidless tank 2011 002.jpg
    Lidless tank 2011 002.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 2,432
Looks good. I would raise them a couple more inches and put a black back on the tank to prevent sunlight coming through the blindes from causing algae.

Cool. I will aim for about 4inches then. Thevblinds are solid wood so I don,t get much light at all through there. Tha tank doe,svget some afternoon sun from another source but I can't do much about that.

Yes well this tank was built 7 years ago as a potentially lidless tank in ten ml glass. It had a brace lids and hood as I couldn't make up my mind which I wanted. The brace is not actually glued on, just tacked in. Now the LFS says these days they make lidless tanks in twelve ml and are unsure about the strength of my tank without the bracing. :grumble:

However the brace has never really done much as it isn't properly glued on. I think I will add a smaller say three icn brace across the middle properly glued in and otherwise remove all the glass supports for the kids. They do not connect up to each other anyway so they have no structural role. Except I suppose they do run the length of the front and back. I guess that may help prevent the glass frm bowing. Any thoughts from tank builders?

Cheers

Paul

Back