Life of MH Bulbs

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I know that every year you are supposed to replace your MH Bulbs.

I was reading a MH Bulb manufacturers website and they were basing this on 11-14 hours of use a day.

Is there any other research charts to show the hours used to determine 1 year.

I am asking because the guy who I purchased my lights from told me at the time he ran the MH only 3 hours a day. At that rate they should last for 4 years.

I know that is crazy to think of but again I am just going by the study I read the other day.

I just find it weird for anyone to say a year when some people run them 3-5 hours and some do it for 10 hours. How can someone running their MH bulbs for double the hours in a year still be ok.

To add more to this:

If you have a 20,000K bulb and after 1 year wouldn't it drop to say as a guess 17,000K and maybe in 2 years 13,000k and the same for a 14,000k in one year would drop to maybe 12,000k for the next year?

I know you loose some light but the color temp can't just go from 14 or 20k to 5k from month 12 to month 14.

Last edited:
I just wish the bulbs in this light were not so old. Just part of the hobby I guess.

I have a place working on something for me now so I will see what they come up with.

Back