Light Colors/Spectrum Required?

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
I'm "researching" LED lights for a little pico setup.

Do corals NEED "white" light in the 10k range in order to remain healthy and thrive?

OR will they grow and live under lighting that's closer to blue? (actinic, 450nm and 460nm - BTW 460nm is very close to same color as 20k)

Or does it depend on the coral? Deep water zoas, for example. I doubt they need or want much 6500k and 10k lighting. If this is true - can you name some other deep water corals that I might place in a 3g tank? I know nothing about deep water corals so any names or places to view them would be helpful. Not saying thats the way I want to go. Just that if I can ONLY keep deep water corals with this kind of light - then I'd like to investigate those species beforehand.

I'd rather have an LPS and maybe a few cool zoas/palys tank. No mushrooms, SPS or leathers. Just LPS and zoas. But can they be grown under these lights?

What about fish? Do they need a certain amount of light in the lower spectrum to process vitamins and carry out digestion or build blood cells or liver function? Obviously, it's not going to have more than 1 tiny fish in it.

Thanks for any help. :Cheers:

With most corals,you can get by without the 10Ks.The corals may grow a little slower,but they should still do good.

Back