light for fuge

You definitely need a light if you have macroalgae. Any old light will do. I have a single 10 watt fluorescent bulb over mine. The cheapest light I could find at the pet store. Algae will grow under almost anything.

If you have macro algae than yes.

Does regular ole household bulbs really work for a fuge?I do think a cheapo fixture that gives out 6000k and up to 10000k would work so much better.

Running them opposite your display tank is the best way to go. I, however, am lazy and don't have my fuge lights on a timer, so mine run 24/7.

i understand your laziness..... it would only cost 5 DAMN DOLLARS AT THE STORE NEXT TIME YOU NEEDED GROCERIES!!!! just pick one up

I run a 10K daylight 18w on my CPR HOB refugium. Started out with a hunk of cheato about the size of your fist. 3 months later, it's to the point where I have to start trimming it back, or it will overgrow the refugium.

I ran a plain old 18 watt aquarium striplight over my chaeto two weeks. didn't have such good luck with it. the chaeto started to shrivel up and had little pieces falling off everywhere. so, I went to home depot and bought a 90 watt daylight floodlight bulb. it's the ones that have the compact flourescent bulb inside instead of a regular old incandescent. so it actually consumes only 26 watts of energy. now the growth is amazing! it has tripled in size in just 2 weeks! even the little pieces that were laying in the bottom of the fuge are growing into big wads of chaeto.

so your too lazy to pick up a $5 timer while your at the store too huh? or better yet, coralife powercenters have night timers that automatically turn on when the actenics turn off. I don't think its amatter of lazyness :)

Back