light question

kriskatatstrophic

Reefing newb
im going to buy lights from fishneedit.com the 36-inch four bulb ones i was wondering what bulbs to go with 3 white 10k 1 actinic 3 14k 1 actinic 2 10k 2 actinic 2 14k 2 actinic???

From my research it seems that the actinic are mainly for the blue look that makes the corals look better. I got a power compact system that hold 4 bulbs, and im going to go with 50/50 bulbs that have 1 10k and 1 actinic per power compact, there for total it will be 4 10k and 4 actinic. The higher the K rating the more blue or deep water color you get. So if your looking for better growth on SPS corals and the like the 10k will be better. If your looking for that blue look that is more appealing to the eye the 14k will probably be better.

Like I stated im doing half and half 10k and actinics.

Remember your bulbs are only good for less than a year so if you start out with 50/50 you can always modify the next time around.

I would use either these two choices.....

2-ATI Blue Plus
2-ATI Aquablue Special 12k

2-ATI blue plus
1-ATI aquablue special 12k
1-KZ Fiji Purple

Let me give you some info.The blue + bulbs aren't true actinic bulbs although they can be use in their place.They have the highest PAR readings of any T5 bulbs.The fiji purple is also not an actinic bulb.It also has very high PAR,it's considered a daylight but enhance the colors better.If I had to describe the color,maybe crisp lavender,slightly purple bulb.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Bulbs/39_Watt/

I went with the Tek Elite 6x54 T5 fixture. 1 Fiji purple, 3 ATI blue plus, 1 GE 6500k and 1 ATI blue special. I could be getting the plus and the specials mixed up though. Ask reeffreak. it is very blue, some people dont like that look. It does crank out tons of PAR!! I bought the fixture and blubs from ReefGeek.com they were very helpful and I would and will buy from them again. Fast shipping too!

Back