lighting for 54gallon tank

It all depends on what corals you want to be able to keep, if any. Also, the watts per gallon method is somewhat outdated now, seeing as how there are many options that give major light output at low wattage, one example being LED's. Which are what I am going to be getting to test over my 10 gallon nano reef.

AND WELCOME TO THE SITE!

If you watnt to go T5s, I would suggest these. Just select the length you want.
T5-HO Light

Those are the fixtures I have over my 75, great fixtures, although they dont have fans, and the bulbs are not excellent bulbs, they are great for the money, And the customer service is wonderful

People don't really use T8s for reef systems. You will have a hard time finding bulbs that work to keep corals, and they don't put out a lot of light -- you would need a lot of bulbs. You are better off using T5s, which are commonly used in the hobby.

If you have a 48" tank, you should get at least a 4-bulb T5 setup.

Danny,

If you have a T8 fixture already you may consider putting in some of the Orphek LED tubes that will fit in either T5 or T8 fixtures. This could be your best option possibly for a reasonable price. I think they have vendors in AU as I saw them on the MASA site....

Orphek | superior led lighting

Back