lighting for a 20 gallon reef tank

reefjet

Reefing newb
I am about to start my 20 gallon reef tank and wanted to know if a 36 led 3 watt each light system well be enough to keep most types of corals

just asking but what would you recommend all blue light or half white and half blue
i did see the 24 3 watt diy kit but the 36 3 watt diy kit is about the same price with out the heat sink

Last edited:
i just got my diy led finished tonight. i got mine at finsanity. i got 16 blue and 16 white they are independently dimmable so i can make the color whatever i like.

they do it for you, that included heatsink drivers optics and everything. no assembly required on your part. just the leds will run you >140$

I noticed that this place is using a different type of LED than other places.
Bridgelux Vs Cree. Obviously a less expensive LED than the more costly Cree. How different quality wise are they? I don't now.

I did some research and all I found out was that the Bridgelux are lower lumens per watt. But still getting a 300 par rating 6" under the water. Not sure what the Crees would be doing, or if it is that much of a difference.

I do know that you would definitely want the heat sink since running this type of LED without one will drastically shorten the life span.

Thanks for the link also. My hunt for LEDs might be closer to an end. Especially if more research brings good news about these less expensive Bridgelux.

yep, he uses bridgelux. i just picked up my light today. i am in love the colors are amazing compared to ati t5 bulbs. its a fairly large heatsink with 2 2 inch computer fans cooling it. it is considerably cooler than my old t5...

Back