lighting for a 37 gallon reef tank.

mtkid6

So much to learn....
Looking for ideas for possible lighting options for a 37 gallon reef tank. I am just getting started do I am looking for specific systems that are working for others.

The T5HO fixtures are mostly 24" or 36"
I think what Biff listed would work best in your situation. It you don't want a MH then do a google search and look at every kind available. You need a minimum of approx. 150 watts to keep most corals.

I would prefer to stay away from MH so if anyone else has good options it would be much appreciated.

May I ask why?

You will have a tough time finding a 30" T5 fixture. There are a couple out there, but the bulbs are staggered, so there is less light on each end. This is because they don't make T5 bulbs in a 30" length.

That would be enough light to keep low-light corals, but not strong enough for other corals such as LPS, SPS, or clams/anemones. That's just over 2 watts per gallon and does not appear to have individual reflectors.

I was told that if I go with MH I wquld likely need a chiller so I was hoping to not have to go that route.

My tank has a canopy on it and I don't think a MH would work for that. Please correct me if I am wrong. I have found a PC with 130 watts. I am shoot for 150 but its pretty tough to find in 30". Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If I got the 250 watt MH like he has listed and mounted it under the canopy it would only be about 4 inches from the surface. Seems a bit close for me. Any thoughts?

Back