Lighting help. My head hurts!

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
:grumble: Forget about what lighting I have. Lets lay out what I want. I have a 90 gallon standard tank. Due to the top of the cabinet I need a light fixture that will fit in it. I do not have access to the outsides of the tank rim. I either need a light that is at MAXIMUM:

47" long, 3 1/2" high, 13" wide

OR

48" long, 2 1/2" high, 13" wide

I would prefer a t5 unit with 6 bulbs. A MH with actinics in the housing would be my second choice, but the 47" light would be sitting on the tank rim and I'm afraid it would be too hot. I could use 3 bulb units, if they even exist, that would only be limited by the width and length dimensions. (I have a brace in the center on my cabinet top that can not be moved.) I could also use 3, 2 bulb units but that is getting a bit messy. (I already have 2, 2 bulb units plus leds) I'm trying to clean up the mess AND have better lighting.

SO I've looked, and looked on the web. I have found NONE that meet my dimension requirements. Anyone have real life experience with 6 bulb t5 fixtures? Real world measurements? Suggestions? Links to products?

It's 4 1/4 inches tall. Too tall. The height is going to be the biggest problem, I think.

With that canopy, I think you will be limited to DIYing your own lights. Any pre-made fixtures I think of won't fit it.

Are you stuck on keeping the canopy?

What kind of canopy do you have?
Is it a flip-top? or one that has cabinet doors in front?

When I had a flip-top canopy, I used something similar to this setup.
48 Inch 2 x 54w T5 HO Retrofit Kit

The product linked is a 2-bulb kit but it should give you an idea.
It would have to be mounted on the underside of the canopy.

Here's a demo of a retrofit installation:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Crsqx_x2E&list=PL0DAA22C9061699C2&index=1&feature=plpp_video"]Ballast Reflector Retrofit Kits - YouTube[/ame]

I have a flip front cap. I'll attach a picture.

The retrofit kit would work. Basically build my own light and I could incorperate my LED's into it which is great. However, the cost is not good. To get my 6 bulbs I would need 3 2 bulb kits at that would run me about $330. On top of that I would need to buy 2 more bulbs. Thats another $50. Then I would need to buy the supplies to build the base for it. Another $50 or so.

Now I'm over $400. With that $400 I could buy 3 more Stunner LED strips and reflectors (for a total of 4 on my tank) and not need to even buy a splitter or power supply. I'm fairly sure I could put just about anything in my tank with those. Thats 124, 12,000k whites and 264, 445nm, blues. From what I have seen first hand, thats a LOT of light! The only drawback is that you don't have the choice of temps with LED's as you do with t5's. I'd like that choice.

DSCN1452.jpg

A shot of the non moveable brace.
DSCN1445.jpg

Back