Lighting Help

picardoflik

Reefing newb
I have a 30 gallon tank with some coral and am looking to upgrade my T8 to T5HO lighting.

I have 2X 24" strips available... what sort of T5s should I get that can support nems...

thinking about spectrum..

Thanks

The primary concern would be number of bulbs (amount of light), not necessarily spectrum (which is color). Anemones require a lot of light. You will want at least 4 bulbs of T5 -- 6 if possible. Have you thought of a MH pendant? A 150 or 250 watt MH pendant would look nice and would get the job done as well.

Are you saying that you have a T8 fixture and you want to put T5 bulbs in it? If so, that's not an option, the bulbs are different sizes. You'd need a new fixture. You'll want at least 4 bulbs, 6 would be better

Thanks for all the comments but my question isn't really getting answered. I am aware of amount of light and how to mount t5 bulbs... the question still stands... what is a good light for nems... i.e. 10,000k, actinic, etc.

Thanks

Okay, well two T5 strips won't be enough for an anemone. Regardless of the bulb color. When you get 4 to 6 of them, the color is up to you - it's about visual preference. Different brand bulbs look different. I'm on my phone, but for 4 T5s, I like two ATI Blue Plus bulbs, a purple one (can't remember the brand) and one daylight (also can't remember). I will check ReefGeek.com when I get to the computer for specifics.

Most people don't use hoods. You would just buy the T5 fixture on its own and use it without a hood. LEDs would be a good option, but they are more expensive (up front) than T5s.

I'm assuming your tank is 30" but just get this:
Odyssea Metal Halide System

Or this is what I just got:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Capable-Lighting-System-36-48-Inch/dp/B00494JTFU]Amazon.com: Marineland Reef Capable LED Lighting System 36-48-Inch: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Okay I'm back on my computer. For my fixture (which had 6 bulbs) I think I used this combo and thought it looked great:

1 KZ Fiji Purple
2 KZ 10,000K
2 ATI Blue Plus
1 ATI Aquablue Special

Back