Lighting issues

saltywaters

Reefing newb
I need some help. I am about to order some new lights. I dont know what to go with. I have a 55 gallon tank. 48" fixture compacts. It is time to get new ones. So I am thinking about going with 4 12000k & actinic combos. Would anyone recommend a different light setup, or is this good?
PLease help I dont want to get something that wont be adequate to my reef aquarium
Thank you,
SW

I would assume you're talking about T5 lighting? If so, then a 4 bulb, 48" fixture will be perfect for a 55g and allow you to keep pretty much anything you want in terms of corals. What fixture are you thikning about buying? Does it come with bulbs or are you purchasing bulbs separate? I think a really good lighting combo in terms of growth and color would be there following:

(2) ATI Blue Plus
(1) ATI Purple Plus or Korallen Zucht Fiji Purple
(1) GE 6500k

I would definitely advise against power compacts. For the same price you can get a T5 fixture that will be much better for your tank. That's totally up to you though. Just my opinion.

Anyway, what fixture are you thining about getting?

i already have the 48" fixture i need to replace the bulbs. it is a power compact lighting fixture. Just replacing the bulbs. So I need to know what would be the best setup for lighting. 65w 2 12000k dalylights and 2 actinicks, or 4 12000k and actinik combos.

Sorry, I misunderstood your original question. I thought you were looking for new lighting to replace your PC fixture.

Ok, I'd go with:

(1) 12000k
(1) 75-25 14000k
(2) Super Actinic

That will give you some growth and a nice blueish crisp look. If you want more blue to your tank replace the 14000k with another Super Actinic.

It really depends on personal preference as to how you want the tank to look. Some people like a crisp white looking tank, while others like a deeper blue hue. My tank is a bit more blue during the day with all those Blue Plus bulbs I use. It's not super blue because the 6500k is yellow and the 14000k is pretty much white so it washes out the deep blue a bit.

Back