Lighting my 48" 55 gallon

shane715

Reefing newb
My goal is to get corals and I planned on using the marineland 48" led reef capable light. Is this a good choice or would I have better luck with a nice t5 fixture just trying to figure out what will work best for me. Thank you, just so many more choices in this world compared to freshwater

take my advice...i spent $400 on the 48"marineland reef capable leds...
they are definitely not strong enough for a 55.
i would reccomend them for a 40 long...
but your corals will not be happy in a 55.
u can get 2 ecorays for $500 and u will defintely appreciate it when u see the difference and save you some money and headaches

Wow... I was just checking those ecorays out they are awesome and definatly in my price range. see if I wouldnt have asked the question I never would have found them they seem to be the perfect candidate for my tank

With these lights, are you seeing good Coral reef growth? I have been doing a ton of reading up on LED and it seems that RB & W doesn't seem to be the best for coral growth.

Most decent commercial fixtures contain at a minimum white, blue, and royal blue LED's, There is some pretty good anecdotal to suggest that UV / Cyan/ Red LED's are also a good addition for the color rendering of corals

I have seen a little of this myself with some of the fish and coral in my 180. There is something missing for color rendition in the white / blue / royal blue combination. While this does not directly effect growth, it can lead to different coloration on coral

Northstar24, thanks for the information. I'm thinking about doing a DIY and trying to figure out what colors to go with. I'm probably gunna get a 2:1 rb:w and then add 12 of other colors, r/uv/g(or turquoise). Just curious how just the rb:w would do.

Back