Lighting Overkill?

rees83usaf

Reefing newb
So, I was in the market for a new lighting system for my 55 gallon FOWLR aquarium. I am wanting to move into some corals and I knew I needed new lights. I was in the pet store today checking out the new wares and saw that they had a lighting fixture for sale for only 200 bucks. Apparently, it was dropped and it cracked the corner and scratch it a bit. nothing major! You cant even see the cracks and the fixture looks brand new! It is a 48" Coralife fixture that holds 4 compact fluorescent bulbs and 4 LED "moonlights". She told me that this usually goes for about 700 bucks but b/c of the scratch they would sell it for 200. So, I said I would take it and procedded to buy bulbs... Here is the fun part...

I got to the isle and there were SO many options. The lady there suggested 2 10,000K bulbs and 2 50/50 (1/2 10,000K and 1/2 Actinic) bulbs. So, I did that. When I got it home and put the bulbs in, WOW! It was like a miniature sun in my living room... I essentially have 60,000K running in my aquarium, not including the blue actinics, I figure...

The problem I was having before was my 2 15 watt bulbs were not strong enough to do anything fun... And now, I feel like there is a HUGE amount of light shining. Before, I couldnt grow anything in my 55 gallon aquarium. No algae or anything. After 6 months, you could swear I JUST added the sand and water... its crystal clear... I added a couple of live rocks and come Caulerpa (sp)... Will this be too much for them?

Now I am kinda worried I might be overdoing it. Anyone have any thoughts on the new lighting setup?

That fixture is not considered powerful lighting. PC's are pretty much the bottom of the totem pole as far as lighting intensity. A 4 bulb fixture is 260w (4x65).
You do not have 60,000K. You don't understand what "K" rating are. It is the color temperature of the bulb. The higher the #, the more blue the bulb will look. 10K will look white while 20K will be blue.
That fixture will be fine for any soft corals and maybe some LPS higher up in the tank.

Is this what you got?
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...t=ES53402&idCategory=FILTFIPCFE&child=ES53406

Last edited:
Wow... Way to call me out on my ignorance of lighting... haha... I appreciate the help and your thoughts on what I have going on... I dont know what PC stands for, but I guess you made it clear where I stood... =) Thanks!

the most lighting you should ever have on that would be dual 250W MH's. PC's are old technology, they are less efficient and penetrate the water much less than T5's, which would be the newer technology.

MH's are still the top of the totem pole, I don't care what anyone says. The big timers who went T5 are going back to MH...

Back